chapter 34

I dont think anyone noticed, but I did the most subtly concerning thing that I'd ever openly do around them.

We were in the kitchen of the villa, we had taken a trip to some island for our birthday vacation. Everyone was done eating, me included, and were talking about where we would go for the day. I wasn't looking forward to going anywhere. I just wanted to be in the water or inside this villa. Anya eventually came up to where I was, standing alone against the kitchen counter.
She put her arm around my shoulder and leaned her head on me. I leaned mine on hers too, despite being unsure. We stayed like this for several minutes, and I nearly began to doze off.

"Ok, get going, I've dressed already. You need to do so now." I chuckled and playfully pushed her, and caught sight of a knife.

"Ughhh, fine!" She dragged herself away as I took up the knife.

I reached for an apple and prepared to peel it.

"Hey! Can I borrow that spare beach dress you have?" She turned around to look at me.

I spun the knife around on the counter, just fiddling with it and trying to remember what she was talking about.

"Which beach dress??"

"The one you showed me thirty minutes ago." She furrowed her brows.

I knew what she was thinking.

"Oh! Yeah, uh. Slipped my brain. Haha, sorry... uh, yeah. The hot pink one? Go ahead!"

She slowly nodded, then continued to my bedroom. I backtracked with the tip of the knife in my palm. I looked about from where I stood until I could correctly see the image in my mind.

"Found it!" She emerged from the room holding the mesh item up. Fuck, it was green...

"Perfect! Now get to it!"

I forgot the knife was in my hand. She went to finally take care of herself and I moved my hand too swiftly.

I gasped and ran over to the pipe and ran water over the long wound.

"Are you ok?" She peered around the corner.

"Yeah, ok. I don't have to yell at you to get dressed but uh, I just knicked myself. And I can take care of it, so please... can I be alone?"

"That better not be intentional. "

Oh, yee of little faith. Of course, she doubts me.

I rolled my eyes in response and got to bandaging my hand. Then got on with the fruits, since that was going to be my breakfast.

She may have been right.

I plopped onto my bed after dropping our bags on the floor. We spent the week of Abosk and I's birth at some Caribbean country. The place had a beach right in front so it was ideal for calming down when one of us needed to de-escalate.

I got to meet Storm's person of interest, though. He seemed like a great man. Scrap that. He IS a great man. I saw Mãe look at him with a feeling of pride and of one of longing. Maybe there was a tear that slipped too. Either way, I pray that she gets someone that looks at her the way Storm's partner does. Despite it all, she deserves at least that.