Chapter 8

Feb 10, 2036

It is literally one hour before the dance is to begin, and my mãe is trying EVERYTHING to hold me back from finishing up.

She asked me to water the plants. Ok, fine. Not sure why you'd wanna do that at night, but ok.

Then she asked to go read to Anya, which I outright declined because her dyslexia isn't as bad anymore, she doesn't need help with that.

She felt defeated at that and asked me to help her rearrange her herbs by name and pack the ones on a list she'd later give me for her night stay with Dani due to a ritual.

It wasn't hard to do so I complied, then 8.30 hit. I was being picked up at 9. My clothes were set up but my hair wasn't half done and that would take a while.

I held my tongue for as long as she gave me small chores, which were one behind the other. She was careful to not make me sweat and also to run late.

As she was gonna give me another chore, and before I would finally snap, Storm butted in.

"Bella, enough. There's no point in holding the girl back. She's almost finished, just let her go. Z's against it but even she sees it's fruitless. Let's go finish up Mija." Storm ushered me along.

Bella just stood with a stoic face, but her energy said that she felt like she lost. And that she had a bad feeling, but she couldn't interfere. I wish I really knew what reasons she had. Did I even know?

We got in my room and Storm closed the door behind us.

"Lemme guess, flat iron?" She quirked a brow.

"Yup." I popped the P and kept a calm gaze at the mirror.

I kept my hands on my tingling thighs and prayed that the pain would ease a bit more before I decided to take Tylenol or apply a numbing medication to the areas. The way the bandages wrapped around my thighs -they weren't seeing it under the skirt I currently had on- wasn't a pretty sight but at least it would keep me from getting chafed.
That's a pain I hate every time I get it.

I occasionally checked my phone for any message from Sabrina, but there was none. I got a notification from T'hjarr though, saying he's running a bit late so he'll meet up with me there. Thinking I would be ready before him.

"What the fuck." I mumbled out loud then looked at Storm's face of concentration in the mirror.

How is she halfway through my hair in 15 minutes???

"Is he bailing on you?"

"No," a nervous giggle escaped. "He's running late and said he'd meet me there."
And saying it out loud made me feel like he's doing just that.

I feel like an ass.

"I see why Bella acted the way she did," Storm mumbled. "Anyways, Abosk is gonna take you there ok? I'm going with your mom to Dani's... I hope you won't hate me, but are you sure you want to go?"

I gave a quick thumbs up after I sighed in disappointment. I wished Abosk could go with me. I didn't really wanna be there alone.

"Ok." My voice cracked without my permission.

"I'll do a protection spell over you- No, with you. Ok? Don't worry, you'll be safe."

I nodded and she gave me a shoulder squeeze.

---

"Now I know you said no purses, but." Abosk pulled out this silver purse and began to show me a knife inside a pink lipstick, a flashlight that was actually a taser, a cologne bottle that was actually a mace spray, and mints. And smiled after.