Chapter 24

May 11, 2022

"SHE DID WHAT?!"

I jumped from my place on the bed and winced almost immediately.

It had to be me, bestie hadn't done anything, Abosk was cooing over his girl half the time to do something stupid, and I don't think Anya did something. I slowly got up, fixed myself, and walked down the steps to the kitchen. I slowly rounded the corner and peeped into the kitchen. And there she was, looking straight at me.

"Hiiiiii, Storm. Uh, Hey, I was wondering if we could take a hike-"

"You'll take a hike to your room if you don't remove that bonnet right now."

"Uh," I touched the bandage on my arm, thankful I got the one that matched my skin tone. That would be another question. "I Haven't done my hair yet, though."

"Bekati Koyisa Coleman, don't let me call Bella and have her know sooner, given Z already knows." She was fuming. That's my government name.

And I took notice of her Attire. She was dressed nicely- I mean she is all the time, even in her garden/planting wear-, She was gonna go somewhere. As far as I can see, It's not for what I thought it was.

"Are you on your period?"

"Huh, yeah." I leaned against the wall and tried not to give death glares to Sabrina, then Abosk for what he would say.

"Oh, that's why you look like a zombie. Eva, you gonna help her with that?"

"Ok, enough with the sex talk, Bekati. Your bonnet."

I groaned and went to take a seat on a stool on the island. I winced slightly and tried to ignore the cramps that began to set in.

"Oh, you do look pale, do you need some chamomile?"

I shook my head and slowly pulled down my bonnet. I watched as Storm's face went from one of anger and impatience to surprise. And just as soon as my hair began to touch my back I began to get irritated. I looked at Abosk who was watching me, my hair then my arm. To which I couldn't help to reply:

"Fuck. You."

Then looked straight ahead as I felt Anya pause behind me.

"Not you, You can go on and put my hair up if you'd like."

"...What happened to us all growing our hair out??" There was so much confusion in her fifteen-year-old voice.

All I could do was shrug.

"Ok, Uh, I- You did that well, Point number one... But please just say it next time. I feel safer taking you to a hairdresser. Turn around?"

I did as told, slowly, and came back around to see a face of relief. It's not like I haven't trimmed it myself before.

"She's trimmed her hair by herself before." Anya spilled as she finished my hair.

"So, you're the parrot. I thought I blocked you from this? Besides, it's not that short."

Anyone can tune into your thoughts today, you only put effort into your hair... Which may have been last night because you surely don't seem like you're here today.

I heard Abosk 'ooooo...' and bit my lip immediately. No more sharp comebacks beck, no. more. contain.

Storm clapped her hands and strutted towards us, purse keys and Shades in hand. She walked around the island and gave each of us a hug before going to the kitchen door and unlocking her car.

"Seems, safe enough to leave y'all here today. I made food, it's on the stove, luckily we dont have dogs so, it's safe. Uh, what else. Oh, as usual, don't eat the food from the ancestor's altar, speaking from experience. Then, hmmm. No dangerous spellcasting." Her eyes passed over Abosk and Anya. "Love ya! I'll be back before Bella gets back... or not."