Prologue

"Cole! Again?" My mother spits out as she throws the latest tabloid magazine down onto my desk

Emblazoned across the front is a blonde girl I vaguely remember fucking a few days ago and the words Cole Eros and his latest affair.

I suck in my teeth and wince as my mother's intense anger increases, with the board meeting imminent and the future of my father's company I can sense this isn't exactly what she needs right now.

"It wasn't even that ba-"

"Don't!" She holds her hand out, silencing my words immediately. My mother is a formidable woman, both in the company and in my family. Her perfectly formed curls frame her face and her blazer is a deep red colour- the colour of power.

"You know what the board told you two years ago, don't you Cole? You have to clean up your reputation before they name you CEO. This-"

She gesticulates wildly at the magazine and I know I'm fucked. Up until this point, I always assumed my mother and the board would back down, but instead it seems like this is just getting more serious.

"This is not clearing up your reputation and you know it! When are you going to grow up Cole? You're nearly thirty, you're not in college anymore."

"Mum I'm-"

She shoots me with a warning look but I continue bravely, I can't always be afraid of my mother.

"I'm old enough to make my own decisions. If I want to fuck a different woman every night, that's up to me."

"Actually," she narrows her eyes and rips the magazine in half, "it isn't. Not anymore."

"What?" I stand from my desk and date my mother to continue. She thinks she has the power to force my hand? She has no power over me, the board would follow me over her any day.

"If you don't marry within the month, you will never inherit this company."

"Well, mother, I hate to break this to you, but your word doesn't decide my actions."

She smirks at me and reaches into her back pocket, removing a folded piece of paper.

"I thought you might say that, but you see, it's not just my word." She throws the document down on the desk and it falls open revealing fifteen signatures.

"The board have agreed, you have a month Cole, a month or you will loose your father's company."

I clench my jaw so tight that my teeth crunch and crack in my head, I'm trapped and she knows it.

"Don't worry my boy, I'll help you with the search. Make sure she's a nice, well behaved woman who will play the dutiful wife for the media and the company. I highly doubt any of your... partners would sell the image this brand needs."

"Fine." I silently swear inside my brain, the words too horrible to even be given voice, but I'll tell you one thing. I'm pissed.

"When does this start?"

"I've planned for it to begin this afternoon."

"Congratulations Cole, you're about to become a man."