Chapter 3

I watch from behind the glass as all the women my mother selected to be a potential wife arrive

I watch from behind the glass as all the women my mother selected to be a potential wife arrive. I can almost hear their shrill voices, their shallow opinions, their gold digger tendencies.

All I can do is pray that that nice woman from the diner listens to me and turns up- if not I'm going to have a really fucking awful day. My mother is already scowling and bitching at my attitude to this whole fucking disaster.

"You need to keep an open mind, Cole." She reminds me in her strictest and grumpiest voice.

"If you go into it with a bad attitude, then a bad response is all you'll get."

"Yeah?" I scoff, "well maybe if you knew your son a little better I wouldn't be feeling like this."

I gesture in irritation towards the sea of skinny blondes all bitching with each other in an attempt to get ahead of one another.

"I don't know what to say, Cole." My mother replies, her tone viper like and cold, "I simply looked at the type you picked for your little exploits and went with that."

Great, just fucking super. Not only is my mother teaching me a lesson by making me marry, she's also criticising my taste in one night stands.

"Lets just say," I grit out, "there's a reason why they never lasted longer than a night."

"Oh, oops." My mother says with about as much innocence as a killer, "well, maybe there will be a hidden gem."

That's what I'm praying for too, mother.

After the decided upon meeting time ticks past and my chosen woman still hasn't turned up, I give up hope. That is until I hear a voice down my earphone.

"Sir, we have a woman here who seems to be here for the meeting. Should we send her up?"

"Yes!" Yes, please send her up straight away."

"What did you do Cole?" My mother questions as she turns to look at me, her eyes scrutinising me as if I was still a small boy.

"I invited my own candidate." I say, feeling a small amount of victory for a brief moment.

My mother doesn't seem fazed which immediately puts a damper on my mood.

"Hmmm, well you get to make the final decision but, if I don't like here, she's out of here."

"I understand." I reply, knowing in my heart that the woman I don't even know the name of is better than any of the women sitting and plotting in the next room.