kim sunoo - animal

note: idk what this au is but some lab smth or the other??

a/n: ik i write a lot of ni-ki and sunoo imagines but just bear with me 😅 also, i would suggest listening to a conan gray playlist while reading this. it sets the mood

tw: general creepy stuff, cursing

2196 words

- linden

Your father's lab was never a place you wanted to be. You'd rather curl up on the grass in your backyard with a fluffy blanket and watch the stars. But when you saw the picture in your father's files of a boy...a human boy, your mind changed.

Why was there a human in his lab? Was the boy really a human? He looked like a human...

You had to get your hands on those papers again.

It was a rainy, gloomy day when you brought up the topic as you were eating breakfast with your father at the big dining table in the hall. "I would like to visit your lab." You said, trying to play it cool. Your father looked at you with raised eyebrows, diverting his gaze from the mushy oatmeal the two of you tried to consume.

"Would you like to come today?"

"Today?" You were the one raising your eyebrows now. Your father only nodded and pushed away his bowl, "Cover these and keep them in the fridge please. I'll go get ready and you do too. Decide by then if you want to come."

"But school-"

"You can skip. I'll call you in sick, or will you do it?" He leveled you with a cold gaze.

"I'll do it..."

Your father nodded briefly and went down the hall to his room. As soon as he'd left, you covered the uneaten bowls of oatmeal with china plates and put them in the fridge. Then you went down the hall in the same direction, turning left to your room. You opened the door and started rooting through your expensive but measly closet.

"I need something comfortable..." You muttered. It seemed like an eternity before you found a decent pair of pants, an off-white collared shirt and sweatshirt to put over top.

You heard a knock on your door, "Are you coming or not?" Your father asked. You stared at the stark white of your door. You found yourself second guessing yourself.

For the boy. You thought. You strode forward and opened the door to be met with your father's face, "I'm coming."

The car ride was long and lonesome. You'd called into your school sick, faking a cough as you were on the phone, and the rest of the ride after that was spent gazing out the window at the dove gray clouds that dotted the gray-er sky.

Finally, a blocky white building rose above the horizon. Your father pulled into the parking lot and you exited the car. "What would you like to see first?" You father asked you. There was a strange gleam in his eyes. It was unnatural when his expression was usually cold.

"I'll just...explore on my own." You would be able to find what you were looking for more easily then. Your father fixed you with a stiff gaze. "Alright." He led you into the building then released you to do as you pleased.

What you found was surprisingly more fascinating than you'd expected- and far more gruesome. There were animals with multiple heads. Creatures that looked like two animals had been forced together in a fusion. A beautiful fox the size of a human being with lifeless blue eyes- yet, it moved.

But you still couldn't find the human boy.

You looked all day but you couldn't find him. Your only choice was to miss more school and come tomorrow, and if you had to, the day after, and the day after that.