nishimura riki - two birds on a wire

a/n: i had no idea where i was going with this

tw: sad :(
yes ur a ghost i guess; interpret it however you want

2021 words

- linden

You hated being alone. You hated being alone more than anything, and he hated being abandoned more than anything. You were scared of those things, the two of you. You wanted to escape, the two of you. Run away from the world. You would join together and fly across the sky; walk across the sky. You could use the stars as stepping stones, but for now, he wasn't ready.

"Riki." You sat crossed legged on the uneven gray roofing outside his window, holding your arms with cold as they rose up in goosebumps. Meanwhile, he was sitting on the windowsill with his legs thrown over the edge and his feet brushing against the roof. "Riki are you going to come with me?" You whispered.  You watched the blue light of the moon as it fell over his face and illuminated his eyelashes.

He was staring up at the stars, studying them with glistening eyes. "I will." The words dropped from his lips like glass. Your own eyes glistened unsurely and sparkly little tears hung at the edges of your waterline, holding onto your curving eyelashes like they were their last hope. You were shivering in the midnight now and you longed to hold his warm hands forever and tell him it would be okay, that you understood.

You were the same, the two of you.

You had always been the same.

Two birds of a feather.

————

Two birds of a feather forever.

He promised forever.

You would be together forever.

That's what he promised. Forever.

————

"Come onn." You whined. "Let's go." Pausing from pacing your room, you momentarily disappeared into your closet to change your pants before coming back out. "You promised we could go to the movies today." You approached the boy that lay on your bed with his nintendo switch in his fingers, face lit up by the colorful lights it displayed. "Riki?" You asked.

He looked up at you and rolled over, pouting with his eyes half shut. "I'm tired." He declared. You felt your heart drop. It was supposed to be today. Today was supposed to be the day of days so you had something to cherish just as someone alone on a dark night might cherish a small flame. "Oh." You said softly in response.

Riki sat up with a sigh and messed with the blankets that were tangled around his legs to free himself. "Okay...okay. Fine." He glanced up at you in that pure innocent way and blinked. You admired the way his hair framed his face and the pretty shape of his eyes. As a whole, it was like nishimura riki's beautiful figure was made from stardust. If there were anything more beautiful than the idea of stardust, he would be made from that instead.

"Really?" Your expression brightened up a little in a childish way and Riki let out a "heyyy" and made to teasing you as he stood up and found a place to store his switch for the time being.

It was a little late, around sundown, but your parents were slightly okay with the situation considering you weren't alone. As you walked the half empty and sunwarmed streets, you and Riki talked and laughed loudly about the randomest topics. When you reached the theater, you wandered around hand in hand, stopping to get tickets, then stopping to get a big bucket of buttery movie popcorn.

You both delivered the tickets to the person who was collecting them and then entered the already darkened theater. You squinted as your eyes adjusted and placed a hand to the railing on the edge of the steps.