park sunghoon - the art of unrequited love

note: "if 'i love you' was a promise? would you break it if you're honest?"

au?

a/n: i'm sorry for writing sad stuffs again- also sorry that it's short, and bad

tw: sad; unrequited love

813 words

- linden

This love might be the death of you. This love that you doubted was real. This fake love when his every look gave you butterflies. This love where only you felt. Where only your heart was filled with him and only him.

————

"Hey." Sunghoon turned over in bed and brushed your hair behind your ears. You opened your sleepy eyes and smiled at his beautiful face. "Hey. What's the time?"

"Past eight, we need to get up." He pressed a cold kiss to your forehead. You sighed and reached for him, snuggling close to his warmth. You could feel yourself falling back asleep. "Thanks for waking me. I love you." You murmured.

Sunghoon was silent for a moment, taking in the trueness of your words; the weight in your words. He offered you the smallest of smiles. "Yeah. I love you too."

He wrapped an arm around you underneath the sheets and leaned closer until his lips touched yours softly. You could taste a sweetness to his lips like he'd gotten up in the middle of the night to drink hot milk again. You smiled into the kiss and laced one of your hands with his. Your heart swam happily, but your mind told you otherwise of his actions.

He pulled away from the kiss to see you still sleepy and with your eyes fluttering shut. He chuckled softly. "Hey, hey. Stay awake, y/n."

"Yup." You mumbled.

He kicked the blankets off and you whined, curling your knees up to your chest, but Sunghoon sat up, ready to drag you out of bed. "Okay, okay!" You let him pull you up by the hands and slowly opened your eyes. "I hate having to do life." You frowned.

Sunghoon wrapped an arm around you and guided you to the bathroom while you grumbled about needing more sleep. "I know." He said.

————

Sometimes you wondered why you were in this relationship, why it lasted. You wondered why Sunghoon had accepted you and continued to pretend even when he didn't love you.

You wondered if he thought you didn't know he wasn't in love with you. You knew, though. You knew very well. It was in everything he did. Everything was an act.

You were acting now, too. You were pretending you didn't know. Pretending that, but never faking your love for him.

————

"What are you doing?" Sunghoon asked as he came down the stairs on a slow and sleepy sunday. You glanced at him before going back to your work. "Making a cake." You smiled at the batter.

Sunghoon hummed and approached you, placing a small kiss on the side of your temple. It had become a habit of his, a show of 'affection' that you both knew there was no meaning behind. "What for?" He asked.

"Just cause." You smiled. "Just felt like making something for you."

"Oh. Thanks." Sunghoon placed another kiss on the side of your temple and walked off. Your acts of love didn't do much for him. You liked doing it so you did. You gave him kisses and hugs and all kinds of physical affection as well as the murmured 'i love you' and small acts like now, baking a cake.

It felt hopeless and dumb sometimes but you did it anyway, because you were undeniably in love with Park Sunghoon, but he didn't love you back.

————

You hummed and wrapped your arms around Sunghoon from the back. "Who are you texting?" You asked. Sunghoon patted your hands and tried at a loving smile, pulling you around so you were next to him. "Just a friend." He said, but his eyes gleamed in that way that told you he was texting her.

A perfect girl for a perfect boy.

You knew it was her he loved but you were afraid to tell him you knew; afraid to break off the relationship in fear of what would happen to him and what would happen to you.

You always wondered what would happen. Sunghoon didn't love you but he had some sort of bond with you that caused him to get worried when things happened to you or you weren't feeling well. That bond that caused him to get protective when you got flirted with.

Your relationship with Sunghoon was complicated. How is it unrequited love if you're in a relationship with the object of that love? Because he didn't love you back. He never would and you both knew.

This love would be the death of you because it drove you insane wondering why you were even here. Why were you in this relationship, why was this relationship stable, when there was only love on one side?

That question would go unanswered. Unanswered even after you broke up because there was no one to give you an answer. This fake relationship when everything he did still gave you butterflies.