Chapter 4: Behind Their Family

Riley's lips parted as she entered a big establishment. And at the top of the building there is written a Detroit Skating Club. She's confused but she just followed her Master Hoon inside. 

She suddenly shivered in cold when they entered a big arena. She embraces herself from escaping the coldness that covers her body. If she only knew that her Master Hoon would drag her to this kind of place, then she must've worn a jacket to refrain from coldness. 

"Wear this." 

She glances at her Master who's handing her a thick jacket, a pair of gloves, a bonnet and a pair of figure skating boots. 

"Uhm, the jacket and gloves will do." 

Hoon tsked. "Just accept it. You're coming with me on the ice whether you like it or not." he said and ordered her to sit on the bench. 

Riley didn't expect that he would kneel in front of her. Her eyes widened when he started to untie her shoelaces and remove her shoes and then he put the skating boots on her feet. 

She was taken aback and couldn't talk.

He told her to put the jacket, gloves and bonnet after he insisted on wearing the skating boots on her. 

Riley stood up and gasped when she fell.

"Ouch!" she caresses her butt. 

"Sorry." Hoon apologized. "I forgot that you're unfamiliar with skating." 

He helped her get up and guided her to the field of ice. 

"Wait." She stopped him. "And here I thought I'm gonna be your personal assistant, Master Hoon. But why am I wearing this thing?" She was talking about the skater boots.

Hoon stilled and scratched his nape. "Ahm, I changed my plans since my coach said that he already left because I'm too late for this morning's session." 

Riley pouted and stopped from complaining. If it wasn't for that bonus that he said, hell she's not doing this. But might as well take the opportunity, right?

"Okay," she tapped her feet with the skater boots on the ice ground. "How do I walk with these?" 

Riley jumped a bit when Hoon softly held her hand and guided her to move forward slowly while gliding on the ice. She followed every single word that he said and when he said that trust him, she did. 

"A-Am I doing it right?" she asked while looking down on her feet. And when she looked up, her eyes met Hoon's. 

And for the first time, he smiled genuinely. "You're doing great." 

She smiled back. 

Moments later, she found herself enjoying it without the guidance of Hoon. She's literally killing it. She knows how to balance on the ice while skating! This is an achievement for her. 

"Whooo!" she exclaimed in happiness. "I'm doing it, Hoon!" 

Hoon can't help but to form a smile on his lips and clapped his hands in amazed. "Nice one, Riley!" 

She laughed in so much fun and an idea came to her mind. She wanted to try something and she did. 

Hoon gasped when he saw Riley tried to flip to the air and expected to land on the ice perfectly but the opposite happened. She went out of balance so he immediately ran towards her and carried her in a bridal style. 

"I-It's okay, I'm fine, Master Hoon." 

"No, you're not." he insisted. "And please cut the Master. It's bad to hear." 

She shut her mouth and he let her rest for a few minutes and decided to leave. 

They were silent inside the car until Riley asked him about the questions she wanted to ask him earlier. 

Hoon blewed a loud breath. "Ask away." 

Riley bit her lower lip before she asked. "Uhm, I've decided not to ask the questions I wanted to ask you earlier and instead, I wanted to ask you this."

She saw Hoon's eyebrow furrowed. 

She's been curious all the time and she knows that it's none of her business but she wanted to clarify something so she gathered all her strength to ask.  

"Is it true that you four have different fathers?" 

Hoon sighed and parked the car beside the road to answer her question. "Yes. It's true. Why? It's because our mother is a flirt. Don't get me wrong I'm not judging her, I'm just telling the truth. As you can see, she rarely comes to the mansion because she always stayed in one of our father's houses. All of us are her eldest sons but with different fathers. But to be exact, Ethan was one year older than Jay and Jay was a year older than Jake and then followed by me. The youngest among them. 

"We treated ourselves as real brothers three years ago. We were so close to the point we don't fight even if it's a big deal. We were a team actually. If someone messes with one of us, messes with all of us. But not until mom told us about her big secret. About the fact that we all have different fathers. All our life, it is bound in our head that our father passed away. But it's all a goddamn lie. We got mad of course. Ethan hyung lost his taste of music and always alone, Jake hyung sometimes faked his emotions. We don't know when he reveals his real or fake emotions. He's good at that. While they say that I became cold and serious as I am and Jay hyung? He became rebellious. He's not just cold but he became very rude. Even mom can't handle his bad attitude. He goes to parties, clubs and drinks a lot until he can't remember what happened but it's completely impossible for him. Knowing him, he has anger issues that no one can handle nor stop him." 

Riley keeps on listening attentively. She can't help but to pity their family. Yes, they're rich as royalties but the fact that they had a messy family, it changes everything. It's like you're rich outside but poor inside. 

"H-How did you meet your fathers?" 

Hoon laughed dryly. "Mom invited her four lovers to the mansion and she introduced us to our fathers one by one." he chuckled. "It's very uncomfortable and awkward at that moment. But we manage to talk to them. And the day came that we accepted our fathers to our life except for Jay hyung. He couldn't just accept it. We already moved on but he's still stuck where he was that day." Hoon sighed and started the engine. "So now you know. Don't get close to him if you don't want trouble. He's a mess and when he wants something, he definitely gets it." 

Riley nodded earnestly and finally understood their family. She can't relate but she can feel that it's hard to bear it. 

MINUTES OF driving, Hoon parked the car in front of a bake shop. 

"Stay here. I'm gonna buy something." he said but before he get out, he inform her. "I don't want to go home yet because Ethan hyung's father is at the mansion right now and I don't want to see his face so, wait here."

She shrugged and looked outside the window while waiting for Hoon to come back. She tilted her head when someone in a motorcycle stopped in front of her window. 

The driver with a helmet looked at her and removed the helmet's shield. 

She gasped when she saw those familiar eyes. 

"Hop on." he tapped the space behind the driver. 

"What the--"

And when she didn't follow his order, the driver opened her door and grabbed her wrist for her to get out of the car. 

"Let go of me!"

His eyes looked at hers. "You're so loud. Have you forgotten that you have to buy some groceries?" 

With that thought, her eyes widened and as fast as flash, she hopped on the motorcycle and put the spare helmet on her head for protection.

"What are you waiting for, let's go!" she commanded. 

The driver just chuckled and murmured. 

"So bossy." 

~amph1trite~