Chapter 19: Pain of Sorrows

Riley was silent until Jay stopped his motorcycle on a top hill. A bit far away from the city. She didn't know why he brought her there.

Jay helped her get down from the motorcycle and assisted her from walking into woods filled with bamboo trees.

She can only hear the sounds of birds chirping, winds blowing, and their own breaths in silence. Everything here is peaceful and you can have a piece of mind if you stayed here.

"We'll get there. Just a little more walk."

Jay awakens her sleeping thoughts.

"Uhm, where are you taking me?" she asked.

She stilled when he held her hand. "Trust me, okay?"

Within five minutes of walking, they finally stopped at the very top of the hill.

Riley saw beautiful flowers everywhere, warm bulb lights that spread throughout the whole place and breathtaking scenery below the hill.

"I'll show you something."

She let Jay lead the way.

He pointed his index finger a bit high on the bamboo trees. "See that? That's my favourite spot."

Her eyebrows furrowed when she sees nothing but bamboo trees. "Where? I can't see it." She faced him. "Are you making fun of me?"

Jay chuckled and whispered to her ear. "Look closely."

Her eyes thinned as she looked closely at the bamboo trees. Then her eyes widened when she realised that there's something spectacular if you look closely.

"I-Is that..."

"Yep." Jay assisted her to the wood stairs. "It's a tree house made of mirrors. That's why it could camouflage in this place. Amazing, right?"

"Wow..." She was speechless and still couldn't believe that there's a tree house made of mirrors.

He motioned her to come inside and lead her to the balcony where he opens the mirror door from outside.

Surprisingly, she can totally see the view from the tree house. The lights of the city below the hill.

"Welcome, to my safe place." Jay spread his arms to the breathtaking sight.

"I never thought that there's a tree house like this."

Jay rested his both arms on the mirror railing. "Well what can I say? I've got the best engineer and architect in town." He said proudly.

Riley let out a contented sigh. This place is definitely needed for her. Not just fresh air but plus the breathtaking scenery below.

She faced him when she remembered something.

"Can I ask you something?"

"You're already asking." Jay said while staring at her. He has that teasing smile on his lips.

She rolled her eyes. "Where have you been these past few days? You didn't show yourself at the hospital while your brothers were always present. Not that I'm complaining. Just asking." She shrugged and avoided his eyes by looking at the city lights.

Seconds later, she noticed Jay looking at the city lights too. "Why asking? Miss me?"

Her eyes widened. Still couldn't look at him. "What?! Miss you?! No way!"

He laughed. "Just kidding, babe. Anyway, to answer your question, that day, when I walked out of your grandma's room, I went to the mansion. I talked to mom and begged to let you back. And believe it or not, it's mission accomplished for me. She said she wants you back at the mansion. I know it tooks days for me to inform you that you're hired again."

Jay combed his hair backwards with his hand. "But I said to myself that before I tell you that good news, I wanted to introduce you to my one and only safe place. I didn't bring anyone here. No one could ever go to this place, not even my brothers. Well, except for me, my engineers and architects who designed and built this mirror tree house. So yeah, it took me days not to show myself to you because I was busy renovating this place. It was a mess actually. I don't wanna embarrass myself of course." He scratched his nape.

"You said you wanted to introduce this safe place of yours to me. Why?" She couldn't help but ask.

Jay blew air and bit his lower lip. "I wanted to confess to you something."

She faced him. "Confess? Didn't you already confess at the hospital? You said that you like me. As a friend. Remember?" She suddenly felt irritated.

He sighed. "Yes, but could you please forget about that?" He held her both hands and looked deeply into her eyes. "Riley, I know I've been a bad boy to you ever since from the start. But this bad, short-tempered, irritated, annoying, disrespectful and intimidating guy, can change himself for the woman he likes. I've been lying to myself if I say that I like you as a friend because as far as I know," he pointed to his chest where his heart was located. "This organ tells me that I like you more than just a friend."

He caressed her cheeks while his eyes couldn't leave hers. "That's why I took you here, to my safe place where nobody could ever know because you're special to me, Riley. So, what do you say? Will you let this bad boy like you... as a woman?"

Riley didn't know why a tear fell down to her cheeks.

Jay felt disappointed when Riley stepped backwards away from him.

"Riley..."

"No... No, Jay..." She stopped him. "You can't like me."

Now she was sobbing and tears were running down her eyes. Exactly when the sky pours rain until it becomes heavy rains.

Riley already warned herself to know her place. And liking by her Masters was very wrong.

"I'm sorry..." That's what she said and she ran away. Away from him.

She ran and ran away from that place until the rain stopped and it was already dark but she could still manage to see the way.

She's hugging herself while walking because she's already wet. She was hoping that there's someone who could help her or a vehicle that could stop to bring her to the city in this quiet and dark place.

She didn't know if she could shout to thank God when a car honked at her and stopped beside her.

Then the driver's door opens and shows Ethan.

"What are you doing there?" He took off his coat and gave it to her when he saw how wet she was.

"God, do you want to get sick?" He helped her to get inside the passenger seat.

She didn't know what to say or to explain why she's here so instead, she said...

"I'm lost."

"Lost? Why? Where are you headed to? And this hour? Tsk. Unbelievable." Ethan shook his head while driving.

She sighed. "You? Why are you here in this kind of place?"

"I was actually looking for Jay. I was tracking his location and it says that he's here but here I am. End up finding you and taking you to your grandmother."

She looked outside the window. "Thank you for finding me." She whispered.

But it looks like Ethan heard it when he snorted.

"But what if I didn't find you? What will you do?"

"I guess I'll die on the street."

Ethan chuckled. "Well, I guess it's not your right time." He glanced at her. "I'm glad I found you."

She gave him a tight smile before looking back again outside the window and thinking how she will face Jay again.

~amph1trite~