Chapter 23: Fix It For Me

Riley parked her bicycle at the backyard of the mansion after she went out of school. She pouted when she noticed that the other wheel on her bike was flat. 

She sighed. "I better need Ethan's help. He's the only one who knows how to fix this after all."

She was about to enter the mansion when a dog blocked her way. A smile appeared to her lips when she saw Layla wagging her tail, sticking her tongue out while looking at her. 

"Hey, there, baby girl." She caressed her head. "Are you hungry?" 

Layla barked. 

"Okay, okay. Let me get your food inside." She chuckled and went inside the mansion. 

She was humming while getting Layla's dog food when she encountered the man she'd avoided for almost two days when he came back home. 

His back was on her. He's topless and only an apron is covering his chest down to his stomach. She can clearly see his bare back. 

And hold on, he's cooking?! 

Riley gulped and cleared her throat. "So you know how to cook?" 

Jay slightly jumped when he heard her voice and he faced her. 

"Oh, it's you." 

She leaned on the island counter and placed the dog food beside her. "Yep, it's me. So why are you cooking when it's my job to do?" 

"I know you're tired from school so I insisted." 

Her eyes widened in surprise. She can see him stilled and realize what he just said. 

"Ahm, can't I cook? I mean, I'm bored so I decided to make myself worth it inside the mansion. I had nothing to do anyway." 

Her brows tugged up and nodded. "So you can cook now? This is not your old self." 

Jay turned his back on her and continued on what he was doing. "People change, Riley. And I considered myself as one of those people." 

He called me by my name… Why does it sound so pleasant to hear? 

I missed it.

It's been so long since he called her by her name. But there's a sudden change in that. He cannot remember her. And she hopes that he will never ever remember her. She's fine with that. She didn't want him to remember the pain she threw at him three years ago. 

She will just think that he moved on from what happened and the fact that he didn't like her nor confessed his feelings when he still remembers her. 

"Hey!" Jay snapped his finger. 

"Huh?" She came back from her thoughts. 

"I said, what are you doing here and why did you get dog food?" 

Then Layla appeared in her mind. 

Oh, shit! 

She quickly ran towards the exit of the kitchen, short-cut to the backyard but she halted when she remembered something. 

"Master Jay, have you seen Master Ethan?" she asked. 

Jay's eyebrows furrowed. He suddenly felt irritated for no reason. "No. I haven't. Why are you looking for him?" 

She glanced outside. "Ahm, my wheel is flat so I need a hand and he's the one who could fix it." 

Jay stared at her for a second and looked away then he scoffed. "Goodluck finding him."