Chapter 54

The Wolf King and I
Chapter 54

I was drowning...

In the midst of that crimson war, all I could hear was the loud clanking of the swords and my heavy breathing.

...and I can't seem to get out of this abyss of loneliness and pain.

No matter how many people I kill, the heavy weight in my chest won't go away.

A soldier came forward to me and I saw a reflection of a monster in his eyes before I slashed his neck wide open.

Chin...

The blood of the enemies would taint my face and I could taste it in my mouth, yet I couldn't seem to stop. I immediately turned to the next opponent and gave him the same fate as the thousands who had already perished at my hands.

Chin, what should I do?

Like an untamed beast, I roared as I devoured any opponent that came into my way with the blade in my hand.

The corpses keep piling up, and I'm afraid that my hands will be full of blood before I see you again.

It's funny that even in the face of death, I would still call for that name inside my head. People kept telling me to forget her. But tell me, how could I forget someone who I've loved for a very long time?

I don't know if I'm getting used to the pain or if I've finally become numb to not feeling anything.

I can't even cry.

This wretched world took the only life that I've cherished, and so I'll take thousands to reciprocate that.

The only person that I've learned to love has left me.

They buried her deep in the river, but little did they know that they buried my whole heart and my whole life with her. Now, the pain is consuming me and I can't get out of this misery. I'm only breathing because I can't die.

Chin, you wouldn't want me to taint my hands with blood for your sake, so watch me break that promise just like how you broke my heart.

You can't rest in peace while I'm dying every single day since the day you left.

Out of nowhere, a familiar image of an armored man appeared in my sight. He was riding on his horse as he charged towards me with a sword in his hand.

So, he finally decided to show up.

The Emperor of Xing is finally here to take my life.

He took his sword and pointed it at me, but all I did was grasp it with my hand and pull him from his horse. He collapsed and lay down in the bloodied field.

I smirk.

He's way too inexperienced to deal with someone like me.

But, as arrogant as he was, he immediately stood up in front of me and grabbed the sword that had fallen from his grasp.

Now, we're facing each other with both burning eyes and clenched teeth.

"Zhang Wei!" he screamed. "Today, I will make sure that your madness comes to an end!"

Yixing, you're still arrogant as always. I can't believe that someone like you would cut the alliance between our empires.

Now, you will taste my wrath.

He didn't wait for me to speak. He drew his sword into the air and roared as he charged towards me.

The sound of the angry clanking of our swords is ringing in my ears, but just like before, I can feel nothing.