Chapter 9

Winter.

Thursday went by in a blur. I woke up Friday morning trying to prepare for the long day ahead of me. I had a pep rally, the first football game, and August's party all today.

I still haven't talked to that man since I left. I'm thinking about using my emergency money to get an apartment. I know he knows I'm here so it's only a matter of time before he shows up.

I got out of the bed and started the shower. As I was turning on my music that I blast through my bluetooth speaker I got a message from an unknown number.

487-626-2489: I miss you.

Me: Who is this?

They never responded. I got in the shower thinking about who that message could be from. I guess I was thinking a little too hard and stayed in the shower too long so I had to hurry up and get out, dry off, and get dressed. Since it's game day I won't be able to come home and change for the party. I packed everything in my duffle bag, shoes and party clothes included. I brushed my hair in a neat ponytail and put cheer bow on top. I straightened out my uniform then grabbed my school backpack, cheer backpack, and duffel bag. I struggled downstairs and to the car. I really miss Benzo. He was wrong for taking my car. The Jag is going to have to do for now.

I threw everything in the passenger seat and backed out of the driveway after I had locked up the house. Getting to school took some extra work. It seemed like everybody was driving today it just wasn't working. How does a traffic jam happen before 7 in the morning? When I finally made it to school I was super late. Coach is about to get on my ass. I grabbed my cheer bag and backpack running to the side entrance that was closer to the big gym than the front entrance.

"Coach is looking for you captain." Shauna the only freshman that made the varsity team said to me when I got to the gym.

"I know. I'm extra late."

"CARTER!!"

"Yes Coach?"

"Where the hell have you been? You are the captain. You should have been the first one here."

"She shouldn't have made captain" Yolanda mumbled under her breath.

"You wanna repeat that Hoe-londa?"

"Aye you better watch your mouth Carter."

"Yes Coach."

If she think for one second she got away with that she better rethink.

"Run the cheers and chants. The pep rally is last period today. We won't mess up."

I did as told then the bell rung for first period. I put my bag in my cheer locker then put my backpack on my back. I don't like that we have to wear our cheer uniform all day. These boys around here are quick to try to feel on your booty. Coach knows she could at least let us wear our sweat pants instead of this short ass skirt.

"Winter."

"Yeah?"

"Where you headed?" Shauna asked.

Shauna is cool. We get along well even with the age difference. I call her NaNa since there is another girl on the team named Shaylin and I get the two confused.

"Government."

"Oh we are going the same way then."

"Watch out for the boys today. They will try to touch your booty every chance they get. These skirts are too short plus you got extra booty."

"You got booty too."

"I've been doing this since freshman year. I know the game."

"They do it in middle school too. I know how to break fingers. So if they don't know better they will find out."