Chapter 35

Aaryn.

"Merry Christmas babies." Mama said waking us up. Serenity made camp in my bed last night.

"Merry Christmas Mama. Did Santa come? I was a good girl."

"Let's go downstairs and see."

"I'll be down in a second." I told Mama going into the closet.

This year she has been through a lot so I got her an extra special gift. It took me a minute to save for it and I had a little help too.

JohnnyJohn: I hope you didn't make plans for tonight.

Me: Nope. I'm free.

JohnnyJohn: Good. We have plans.

Me: Is this another surprise thing? You know I hate when I don't know what we are doing or where we are going.

JohnnyJohn: I can't say this is the last time I'll do it but I won't do it as often. Next time we go out you will know every detail.

Me: But not this time?

JohnnyJohn: Not this time.

Me: Ugh okay.

JohnnyJohn: Love you.

Me: Mmhm.

I grabbed Mama's gift and made my way downstairs.

"Aaryn look at what Santa brought me!! It's a drawing book so I can do my art."

"That's so nice. Santa must have gotten your letter."

"He did and he got me lots of colors and markers. This is the best Christmas ever." She exclaimed falling back into the ripped wrapping paper.

I took out my phone and recorded the happiness on Serenity's face. Then I turned to Mama.

"Mama. I got you some thing special."

"Aaryn you better not have spent a lot of money on me."

"Why not Mama it's the least I could do for my soldier who has been holding me down since before I could hold myself up."

"Aaryn."

"Here Mama. I don't want to hear it." I said pushing the big box in her lap.

She unwrapped it and pulled out another wrapped box. Then she unwrapped that one and pulled out a smaller wrapped box.

"Aaryn." She said giving me that what the hell look.

"Patience young grasshopper."

After two more smaller boxes she pulled out an envelope, that was her real present.

"Read it out loud." I prompted.

"It says every soldier deserves a break. You've be battling for almost 18 years so I figured I'd make sure you get your break."

"There is something else in the envelope." I informed her.

She pulled out the only thing left.

"A plane ticket to, Jamaica? Aaryn no."

"Yes Mama. You deserve this. It's only a few days."

"No way, who will take care of you."

"We will be okay. I can handle it. You know I can."

"I just don't know if I can be away for that long."

I put the phone down.

"Please just go. If you don't I'll have done all of this for nothing. I just want to let you know I see you working hard for us, I saw the struggles. Let me say thank you to you in this way. I appreciate you so much there are no words to express exactly how I feel. You and only you kept this beautiful family together. In the times when we weren't comfortble and you skipped meals to make sure we had enough to eat. Times where you got maybe an hour of sleep if that but you kept a smile on your face. On time for church every Sunday. New school clothes every year. We never missed out on anything because of the wonderful mother that you are. For a few days I don't want you to worry about anything but what you want. It's your turn to be served."