Chapter 29: A Talk with the Master

With all of the eventful things happening after the train mission was over, Giyuu forgot that he had to meet with that Master and come up with another lie that would satisfy him. Rengoku had completely backed down on getting a clear answer as to why Shinazugawa was on the train mission because Giyuu had bursted out in tears. Plus, Rengoku was so occupied on the fact that tears were falling out of Giyuu's eyes to listen to his instincts saying that Giyuu was lying. Getting out of explaining the attitude change to Oyakata-sama by crying, wasn't going to work as it did with the Flame Hashira. Giyuu crying would move Oyakata-sama's attention away for a tad while, but would only make his curiosity grow. What Giyuu needed now was an explanation that was the truth but not the whole of it. Parts of the truth that would satisfy the Master.

"Giyuu, I heard you cried in the dining hall yesterday."
"I did."
Giyuu ahead to make his choice quickly. To lie, speak the truth, or give half the truth, those were the only choices he had. Although, Giyuu already knew that lying absolutely wasn't happening. After all, Oyakata-sama was a person with great insight. If he wanted to know something, he'd figure it out, one way or another. His features might've been soft and gentle, he was actually rough and stubborn. On the outside a gentle man, on the inside, a stubborn wall. Ubuyashiki Kagaya was like oobleck. Soft and flexible when talking to people that are sincere with all of their words, people that talk with care and honesty. But, he is tough and unbreakable when trying to get information out of someone that wasn't willing to share. Now, Giyuu has to find a way satisfy the Master without giving up the whole truth, just like he did with Rengoku.

"Tell, me why you cried."
The moment of truth. Whether or not Giyuu could hide the majority of the truth from Oyataka-sama, was all up to the option Giyuu was going to choose. In this case, he chose the truth...the vague truth.
"Shinazugawa intruded into the train mission you assigned Rengoku, as well as myself. Though I was informed that he was going to do such a thing, I did not say anything to Rengoku. Rengoku wanted to know the reason and I explained in depth making the conversation a bit emotional."
The truth and nothing but the truth. The vague truth. As vague as it has to be for Ubuyashiki to accept it. Details, but not to give enough that he could put the whole situation together clearly. There had to be holes in the fully story. The story had to make sense while Giyuu was telling it, but when he leaves the Master's Mansion, holes become to be seen. That's the explanation Giyuu was looking to give, and he hoped Oyakata-sama would receive without complaints.
"Why did Shinazugawa go on the train mission?"
Giyuu remained composed not letting any tells slip from any part of his body. Not like he was planning to tell a lie in the first place, but just in case something unexpected happened he wanted to keep a regular posture.
"I asked him to accompany us because I had a bad feeling that something was going to happen. The reason for not asking you for permission is that it was more probable that you would say no."
Honestly, Giyuu and Shinazugawa hadn't even given though to asking Oyakata-sama to put an addition of two Hashira on the train mission. Both of them held the same thoughts of that he would never agree and had acknowledged them seeing as it was never brought up when first thinking about the plan.

The two continued talking about what made Giyuu think that it was necessary for Shinazugawa to go on the mission. Oyakata-sama also gave him a little warning.
"Giyuu, I'm a person who is always willing to listen, and I do not enjoy putting my children in danger. If one of my children has a problem, even if it is something simple, I will hear them out and do what I can to relieve that feeling. Although I do care for my children, if they decide to go out on their own, not only will it make me feel hurt, but it might effect the whole family. I cannot take chances and bad children have to be disciplined."
So many words for such a simple message, but that was just the kind of person he is. Oyakata-sama didn't want to be seen angry, or strict. He just wanted Giyuu to understand that he worries for everyone and one action can destroy the whole Demon Corps. To prevent that from happening, Oyakata-sama is going to stop it from happening by having his "children" feel free to talk to him about anything. Giyuu did understand that before, but he had his doubts. Not in the decisions the Master makes, but the way he would be portrayed after what he had to say left his mouth. That worry was the reason why Giyuu didn't want anyone but Shinazugawa to know the whole truth. That was why he lied.

Oyakata-sama liked the answers he got, but those weren't the answers he was really looking for. The questions he asked weren't even the questions he wanted to ask. He was curious and wanted Giyuu to understand that he could talk to him about anything. There was only one question he truly wanted the answer for.
"Giyuu, what made you change so suddenly?"
When hearing this question, Giyuu relaxed. There was no need to lie for this question. There wasn't even the thought of it. Giyuu just said what really caused him to change with nothing but a warm feeling in his chest.
"I met someone and they became important to me."
Oyataka-sama wasn't expecting that kind of development happen inside of Giyuu during this point in his life, but he knew it would happen at some point.
"What is this person like?"
Giyuu was so relaxed that he didn't realize the own change in his facial expressions.
"They're kind and treat other living with respect. They sheds tears for others and lead the lost back onto the path. They make sure to protect everything that's important to them, and live life holding a kind smile on their face. Not a fake smile, but one that's 100% genuine all the time. His eyes show all of his emotions and sometimes they pierce through you. When something is done wrong, they don't look for someone to blame, but moves on. They are clumsy and likes to run on about topics that interest them. They're stubborn and won't change their mind once it's made up."
Giyuu didn't realize but when talking about his special person, a smile started forming on his face. He was just so immersed in the memories he shared with them that everything else seemed of little importance. Although, there was always this one memory that would fade into his mind. A memory filled his blood, tears, and screams. That memory always made his face go sour.
"They're someone who would kill himself to protect everyone else."
Oyakata-sama smiled by how a person could pull out such emotions from Giyuu. He was proud that another one of his children had found someone to protect, someone to live on for.
"You really cherished this person."
Giyuu pulled himself out of the sour mood and another small, soft smile graced his face.
"Of course, because they're the brightest light in my life. Luminating all of the darkness."
"Make sure you protect them well Giyuu."
Giyuu's face when back to his normal stone cold look,
"Yes, Master."
Then, Giyuu was dismissed leaving Oyakata-sama in the room to ponder. It left him surrounded by his own thoughts. Thoughts of who such person it is that can make Giyuu's expression change even when just thinking about them.
A bright child...someone who can show Giyuu the full light in the world...It must be that child.