Chapter 43: Everything is Useless

"What...? What the hell are you talking about?"
Fallen was confused. He was genuinely confused.

Tanjiro was taken aback and his limbs loosened. The chains hit the floor and the hate in his eyes lessened,
"Do you not..."
"What the fuck do you know?"
Fallen had lashed out just as Tanjiro was going to ask him the most important question retaining to his own well being. Still, that question showed some vulnerability. The tone and the look on his face, it all showed that there was something wrong with him yet Tanjiro couldn't handle being nice to this person. Though, it was his nature so Tanjiro couldn't help but get rid of all the hatred in his eyes and replace it with a little bit of sympathy. It also made him realize just what caused all of this to happen. How he got out and why he was messing with the mortal realm; everything became clear.

Despite the anger Tanjiro held towards the being in front of him, he felt his heart soften. His kind soul could never steal his own heart. Even if it was his greatest enemy, it was impossible for him not to feel pity towards them.
"What a pitiful person you've become..."

They couldn't believe it happened again. Someone had died and everyone was forced to start over again. Another useless person died. It was such a hindrance to the one's doing everything possible to stop the cycle.

Because of all the times the world restarted and the multiple people who were given chance after chance to survive, the main force couldn't track down all of the regressors. They knew the total related to the number of times rebirth happened, but it was impossible to search for, over 100 demons and humans with just a small search party. All of their search efforts were useless.

"We should just stop."
Ah...their sports had finally broke. They realized everything was useless. All of their efforts, all of their fights, all of the demon slaying. None of it mattered. None of it meant anything. There was no hope left for them. Especially for those who've lost their life or gained a new one.

Everyone gained something. Everyone lost something. But, they all know just how useless everything is. Why chase after something so out of reach? Killing Muzan Kibutsuji used to seem out of reach, he seemed to be unkillable without major casualties.

It had been so long since they all thought that. So long since they fought him and some of them actually died. It had been lifetimes since something so insignificant seemed insanely out of reach.

"They're done. Their vessels are about to go into mandatory overload reset. Their nothing but pride-less, pathetic, and weak personalities. All of them are giving up, so how are you going to intervene this time?"
Tanjiro could feel his smirk.
"You can't boost moral this low with a letter or dream. But, isn't that the only thing you can do?"
Tanjiro wanted to curse.
"Even if you know who I am, it doesn't change anything, does it?"
Tanjiro wanted to kill him. He wanted to mentally devastate him. He wanted to cause this man the same despair he was in.
"The soul you're looking for, is no longer there. You were not the only one who received punishment."

Fallen was speechless. Did he really just hear that? Did someone he trapped in a room tell him that everything meant nothing? That every step he took, the plan he took decades to make, meant nothing...? Was everything he did useless...?

Even if that was the case, Fallen will always and forever chase after the one he broke the rules for. No matter how long it took, how useless things became, he will do anything to see that person again.