Chapter 31: Kidnapping, Cross-Dressing, and Demons (2)

"Like I'm saying, there's a demon at my place! This is that it was like! I'm sure!"
Inosuke was sitting on the roof of a building with Tanjio making weird poses while explaining about the demon he heard in the walls.
"It was like this! I'm sure!"
Tanjiro was confused because he didn't understand the motions Inosuke was doing. He understood that he was a demon, but everything other than that was confusing. 
"Well...uhhh....just hold up a bit."
Inosuke kept up with his weird gestures on poses,
"Like this!? Can you tell if I do this!?"
Tanjiro was still confused and tried changing the subject,
"I think Uzui-san and Zenitsu will come here for our regular meet up."
But Inosuke wasn't accepting the topic change and kept on going with his multiple failed attempts.
"Zentisu's not coming."
Tanjiro was surprised my Uzui's sudden appearance on the edge of the roof. Inosuke was surprised as well, but also scared. When getting over the surprise and admiration, Tanjiro focused on the words that came out of the Hashira's mouth.
"What do you mean by Zenitsu isn't coming?"
Uzui started thinking about his actions and how his emotions got the better of him. 
"My desire to save my wives has caused me to commit a great mental error. Zenitsu's whereabouts are unknown. He stopped contacting me last night."
Uzui didn't want to drag low ranked slayers into a battle with, what he presumed, an upper moon demon. They wouldn't be able to survive, nevertheless, fight back. To complete this mission, Uzui accepted that he needed to put his emotions aside for the safety of many others.
"You two, get out of here now. Your ranks are way too low. From here on, I will move on my own. I will regard all those who've stopped sending letters dead."
Tanjiro didn't want to accept that. He wanted to help even if his own life was going to be at risk because that was the type of person he was. So self-sacrificing that he always needed someone by his side to stop him from willing jumping off the edge. Uzui took Tanjiro's feelings as being ashamed and told him that,
"Winners stay alive."
Then he disappeared.

Inosuke and Tanjiro couldn't accept the change in circumstances. They had volunteered for this job and they wanted to see it through. Plus, their friend had gone missing and they weren't about to leave him there. If all that was left was his body, the two of them would make sure to bring it back.
"Maybe he didn't believe us because we're the lowest class members."
That's what Tanjiro thought, but Inosuke had a different idea.
"We're ranked higher now. We're currently at Kanoe rank right now. The fourth lowest."
Tanjiro was surprised because he didn't know this. They were ranked up without even getting a notice. Inosuke raised his fist and clenched hard enough for a character to appear on the back of his hand. The character of Kanoe of seven. The reason this character appeared only now was due to muscle expansion. It was caused by the unique technique of Wisteria Carving. It happened unknowingly to most under the Wisteria trees surrounding the demon slayer headquarters. The only was to notice it is by clenching your fist hard enough, you feeling the itch when the engraving happened under the Wisteria tree. After clearing up that confusion, the two of them went on to create a plan of action, going against their superior's orders. The completed their plan and went on to make sure that it played out perfectly. 

First, Tanjiro went back to the brothel he was sold to. He wore his slayer uniform and the box with Nezuko on his back.
"Koinatsu-san, forgive me for being impolite. I will be leaving the Tokito House. I owe the master and the others for taking care of me, so could you give this payment to them?"
Koinatsu was startled by the sudden voice behind her and the clothes her kohai was wearing. Still, she listened to everything Tanjiro had to say without freaking out.
"Sumi-chan...your clothes..."
Tanjiro slid a white, closed envelop towards Koinatsu.
"I have my reasons for dressing up as a girl, but I'm actually a boy."
Koinatsu was unfazed by that information. She actually looked at Tanjiro with a relieved face.
"Oh, I knew that. I could tell just by looking an hearing."
Tanjiro looked confused because he though he hid his gender well. Apparently, he didn't. Tanjiro's open confusion made Koinatsu have a worried look on her face. But, she covered it up with her hand.
"I knew you were a boy from the beginning. I was wondering what you were doing here..."
Tanjiro was in complete dismay. He though for sure no one would think he was a guy. After all, the master of the brothel didn't find out and still bought him. Koinatsu but her hand down,
"You have your circumstances, right? You were worried about Suma-chan, right?"
Tanjiro spoke out trying to justify his actions,
"Yes, I really was! That wasn't a lie! I will save those who disappeared!"
Koinatsu looked at Tanjiro silently then smiled.
"Thanks, I'm a little relieved now. You see...I'm leaving this town tomorrow."
Tanjiro's face brighten up with a smile grateful for her. 
"Is that so? That's wonderful!"
"There's someone who willing to take me as a wife. I am extremally happy now, but..."
The maiden's face became said and worried.
"That's why I couldn't help but worry about everyone I was leaving behind. Even though there were a lot of unsettling incidents happening, I had no means to investigate them..."
The teen became worried for her mental state and just wanted her to be happy. After all, people who've ended up in brothels don't have a pretty background.
"That's natural, so please don't worry about it! Just smile."
Koinatsu was smiling and happy for the reassuring words that came out of Tanjiro's mouth. 
"...I really don't want you to leave, Sumi-chan."
Tanjiro smiled and bowed with full respect. The maiden named Koinatsu was a nice person, and she cared about all of the people under her. If only Tanjiro realized the true meaning of her final words to him.
"Yep, gotta eat you know so I don't forget. After all, tonight's your last night. Right, Koinatsu."