Recon

Evie rolled over marveling at her engagement ring, and the man that was laying under her.  It had been a few days and she couldn't believe it was real. She'd gone through this ritual every morning feeling the vibranium band against her finger and noting the soft snores of James beside her. She couldn't believe James was really here where he belonged. One blue eye popped open, "What are you doing?" he groaned.

"Admiring how pretty my ring is," she  whispered, her green eyes meeting his, "And maybe how pretty you are. Are you going to wear a wedding band on your left hand?"

James kissed her hand, "Do you want me to?"

"I'm sorry, too early for that. We haven't set a date," she said.

"Obviously if you're thinking this early I didn't do my job last night," he teased, running his metal fingers down her spine. She shivered, before leaving a bite on his right pectoral muscle. He groaned, "Doll."

She kissed him, tugging on the ends of his hair, "Cad."

His arms snaked around her, holding her tightly to his chest. "I don't want to let you go."

Evie looked at her ring again, "I don't think you're going to have to worry about that."

He pressed a kiss to her  temple, "I don't want to imagine my life without you anymore. I've done that. And I can't do it anymore. No more days without you."

"No Morgan. They're sleeping," Pepper scolded outside the door. 

"I heard them talking," Morgan stated.

Evie snickered, as James covered her mouth. "Shhh," he whispered.

"Coffee is downstairs. Though it sounds like you two have already had a morning pick me up," Pepper called, as her and Morgan went downstairs. Morgan asking what a morning pick me up was.

Evie laughed, "Let's get coffee."

He kissed her neck, "Or maybe we have a morning pick me up." His hand drifted down to her butt, giving it a tender squeeze. She smacked his hand away, before standing  up. She slipped on the night shirt and shorts she'd had on the night before. James slipped on some joggers and a red shirt.

Evie led the way downstairs. Pepper handled them a cup of coffee as they came down the stairs. Evie glared at her niece, "I could hurt you."

"You won't," Pepper said, "I'm the only Stark left to walk you down the aisle."

"No truer words have been spoken," James said, kissing Pepper's cheek.

Evie smiled, looking around the expansive kitchen. Her family was here. It was a little broken but it was good. She dropped a kiss on Morgan's head. Morgan looked up at her, "Aunt Evie what is a morning pick me up? Because mommy won't tell me."

Pepper and James snickered behind their mugs of coffee. Evie exhaled, "Its morning snuggles Uncle Bucky and I were snuggling."

"Next time can I come in?" Morgan asked.

"If our door is unlocked yes ma'am," James said.

Morgan grinned, before taking a giant bite of her cereal. James kissed Evie, "I'm thinking on our actual wedding anniversary. And I want to wear my band on my right hand."

"So next year?" Evie clarified.

"Next year," he agreed.

The next morning Evie woke to James and Morgan curled up around each other. Morgan's head was nuzzled into James' neck and her tiny arms were wrapped around him tightly. Evie snapped a picture quickly. Her heart ached at the thought of what they had missed out on. She'd imagined moments like this to calm her while war and strategies raged around her.