Chapter Six - Influence

Judge Lister and I were seeming to have a decent conversation with one another while the results of the election were announced.

"So let me ask, your kind self. How can a body, judge if the accused or witness is telling the truth? I mean some of them can be convincing and have all the evidence behind them yet tell a lie?" I inquired "What if the evidence is false. If someone did know the truth about the accused wouldn't they be obliged to speak up?

"Most assuredly, in the appropriate place. Which would be the court." I caught sight of George heading this way

"What if someone knew of a scheme someone concocted to pay others so that they might speak lies." I gulped as he edged closer.

"You speak of a lot of scenario's are any of these bodies to these alleged incidents here now?" he wondered but before I could speak George arrived.

"Mistress Abigail, what a pleasure to see you. And your Lordship out usually late." he greeted us

"Indeed sir. Though not unarguably detained." he smiled my way but it was no use. George would take this opportunity to halt my helping of Ross.

"You must be grateful for the distraction Ma'am. Did you speak of your husband? Of course you will meet him tomorrow." There it was, the outing of why I was really here "Ross Poldark, when he comes before you in court. Oh you were not aware."

"No sir I was not."Judge Lister scowled then stood "You will pardon me Madam, sir."

"Let me accompany you." the two left and as they did George made it clear so I could hear that he could influence the judge. With that he voiced, the judge would no longer be fair to my husband.

------

I ran into George later on, he bowed his head as he passed me.

"Why do you hate him?" I questioned curiously "Can you make me understand what he has done to deserve it."

"I doubt you'd understand." he replied

"Which means the reason only makes sense to you. Did he mock you in your early years? That you are the Grandson of a blacksmith? Or is it that you are so desperate for approval that what you have is not enough or was his important all along." I suggest

"Ludicrous" he scoffed

"No, I think I got it.  You are the lonely child in the playground so desperately wanting to play with the popular boys, well established boys in your year. You forget George that despite the colour of my skin, I'm a high born lady and was raised as such. I know our circle of peers and watched them as you have. You envy Ross in every possible sense and it drives you insane with jealousy." I point at him and I see his armour crack "The loyalty and love he inspires without even trying is something you can't buy, not really. Though you try so hard to. You may have the money George but your actions to those around you will always leave you truly alone forever more."

"Coming from the future widow." he tried to counter

"I will fight tooth and nail for the man I love in life and in death. Which is funny because I have yet to see someone who loves you that much or ever will. Face it George, no matter how much money you throw at something and someone, no one will ever love you much as I love Ross. Whatever may happen tomorrow, you will never be rid of Ross Poldark." I curtsied and spun on my heal before leaving. I returned back to the room.

Verity woke up when I entered and I sat down on her bed.

"Did you have better luck?" she wondered sleepy. I rubbed my eyes in frustration and tiredness.

"If anything, I've made it worse." I covered my face trying to to let my emotion get the better of me once again

"What did you hope to achieve?"

"Something. I have already lost Papa and Jonathan, I couldn't bear it if I lost Ross too." she ruffled and wrapped me in her embrace, comforting me.