Chapter Twenty Four - Killarwarren

Ross and I were invited to Killerwaren by Mr Penvenan. I was a happy sight and feeling to be out for something different. It was rumoured that there was going to be a special announcement.

"You seem lively tonight." Ross commented as I figuratively skipped towards Killewaren.

"Maybe it's because Henry and Rebekah Grace are safe in bed and the two of us are dining at Killewaren after a year of turnips and potations in various forms?" I grinned

"Take care you don't overdo the port and trip over Caroline Penvenen's intended" he jested the warning.

"Perhaps if I do, my husband will give me some attention." I snorted in amusement.

"Have I been so neglectful of late?" he inquired as we made our way inside. I raised m eyebrow to him.

"I think your other wife Grace has a more fitting answer." I grinned removing my hood

"True, she is more taxing than you. But not as lovely." he charmed

"Is that a promise you'll have eyes for none but I?" I set the challenge which he was only to happy to accept.

"Tonight I'll have eyes for none but you." The two of us met up with Elizabeth and Francis who were waiting for us.

"New dress?" My sister wondered

"Not this time. You?" I countered and she looked down at hers

"I wish." there was a awkward silence between the four of us until Francis gratefully broke it.

"Shall we go in?" he suggested. We agreed and made our way through the doors handing our cloaks and hats as we did. Elizabeth and I entered first and together with our respective husbands behind us. I leant in close.

"Do you remember when Papa said, that when we had husbands and went to events it was always better to enter the room last?" I smirked

"Because it was the most beauteous time and all eyes would be on you." she smiled remembering.

"He taught us how to hold the room in the best way. Apparently Grandpapa taught him that or was it Grandmama?" I tilted my head trying to remember

"Grandmama. Papa used to say she jested about it all the time and make Grandpapa blush in announce and embarrassment." she clarified and I nodded.

"Would everyone take their seats." mr Penvenan announced then headed in our direction "Mistress Abigail. Can I have the honour of escorting you to your seat." he offered.

"Thank you, sir." i took his arm and he lead me away. In a way Mr Penvenan had all the remarks of our late papa but less of a talked about scoundrel way. My seat was pulled out and I took it.

"Thank you." he gave a comforting and generous smile before taking his own seat next to me rat the end of the table. I was soon joined by Captain McNeil, who I hadn't seen in some time. I glanced across and further down the table where Elizabeth sat with Ross. I glance at Francis, who was sat across from me on the other side of Mr Penvenan who also turned his gaze to me before the two of us sat back and I decided to make conversation with the Captain.

"So you have retired Captain?" I wondered what brought him back to Cornwall.

"Aye. I was plagued with a fever and have come back to convalesce." he answered

"I have no doubt you'll have time to enjoy exploring the coves hereabouts" I smile taking a sip of my drink.

"Looking for smugglers, are you, sir?" Mr Penvenan wondered

"Surely after your last visit you've all but squashed them out, right?"

"Aye, but they're damnably sly, ma'am. one can never be certain how they're disguised." I gasped in fake shock

"Are you suggesting that I could be one?" the men around me laughed and the Captain slammed his hand on the table in amusement. We began to eat when from the corner of my eye saw the former flames together in what felt like a intimate conversation.