Chapter Eight - The Truth will set you free

"Call Jud Payntur!" Jud came forward and took the stand. If my glares could do anything to the man, he would be dead before he could say anything.

"Describe to us, Mr Paynter, what took place the night of the gale." Jus hesitated before saying anything

"So there's Prudie, that's the wife, snoring fit to rouse the dead. When along come Cap'n Ross, saying' 'Ship gone ashore down Hendrawnea'"

"I scarce believe he would turn against Ross like this. The sight makes me feel queasy to the bone." I whisper to Verity, then turn my attention back to our former manservant.

"Yes? What did he do?"

"Do?" Jud questioned repeating what was asked of him.

"Did he urge you to do anything?" The prosecutor prodded for the story

"Urge? Oh, aye. He says to I 'roust the rest of the village and head down to the shore" Jud stated to the jury

"Did he give you a reason."

"Reason? Aye. Come now he says sharp as you can, for likely there is...women and children aboard needs saving from a watery grave." my jaw went slightly a jar as he lied but for Ross.

"Come, man, recollect yourself. Think what you're saying." Jus thought about it for a moment

"Aye, that's what he said right enough." Jud nodded in determination, changing his story in favour of Ross. Could he really be having a change of heart.

"I tell you, man, to think again. What you say is no in accordance with your sworn statement. 'When Captain Poldark came to my house, he told me to hurry and rouse the village and the sooner it was stripped the better before the authorities turned up'"  Prosecution quoted

"No, sur, I never said them words and' I never thought 'em neither." Jud denied tapping his head.

"I remind you, Mr Paynter, this statement was made before witnesses and read outlaid to you before you signed."

"Aye, well, sur, see...I is hard of hearing. So it's likely I misheard what they said and they misheard what I said." Jud replied

"Mr Bull, I would have thought it was clear that this witness has committed perjury either now or when he made his original statement. I would suggest that you turn him out of the box and get on with your case." Judge Lister stated. Jud was removed from the box.

"Call Captain Bray." The Captain took the box.

"Describe, Captain Bray, the sight that met your eyes as you came ashore that night."

"Like Dante's inferno." he stated "Drunken men cavorting, mules struggling beneath the spoils from the ship. All semblance of order gone. Twas as close to hell as I ever hope to come."

"And your passengers and crew?"

"Confronted by the viciousness of the grossest kind. I had to stand guard to prevent them from being torn to pieces."

"Thank you Captain bray. Your description would strike a chill into the heart of any decent human being." Ross whispered something to his lawyer, who stood up.

"The prisoner begs, leave to question the witness."  his lawyer voiced. There was a moment of consideration before the Judge nodded.

"Granted." Judge Lister agreed and Ross stood up

"Captain Bray, do you recall seeing me on the beach that night?" Ross questioned the Captain

"You came and offered me and my passengers shelter in your house." Captain Bray answered truthfully, Ross told me of his actions while I wasn't myself.

"And did you see or hear me encouraging anyone to wreck your ship?"

"It was dark sir. But I believe I'd never set eyes on you until that moment." was the reply

"Did you see the meeting of myself and the Captain of the soldiers?" Ross  asked driving at a point, he would get there eventually.

"As I recall, you warned them not to go down to the beach." Captain went on

"And did I accompany you into my house, sir?"

"You did." Ross nodded

"Thank you." Ross sat himself back down but the prosecution stood again

"One moment. How long did the accused stay with you after you entered the house?" came the question from the prosecution.

"About five minutes. He said his wife was ill and that he needed to tend to her." Captain Bray answered.

"When did you see him again?"

"About two hours after." I sighed and shook my head, this time the truth was not helpful. But I took comfort that it was the truth and not lies like the others.

"So there was nothing to prevent him leaving when you were settled and returning to the beach to attack the excise men."

"I said I didn't see him. I heard him call for the maid and the doctor of the house during those hours. Them two were run off their feet tending to us and upstairs." Captain Bray countered " When I did see him he was more rugged than when we arrived and attending upon his son." Ross turned to me and I gave him a soft smile

"That will be all," came the sigh of the prosecution