Chapter Twenty - Battle of wills

I travelled to Truro to spend some time with Verity, the two of us caught up on what we had missed in our short time apart. The two of us were making our way up one of the streets.

"Of course I'm happy. I could not be more so." she stated but I could sense something was wrong about her tone.

"And yet?" I question

"My brother will not forgive me and Andrew's children decline to meet me. Not that I blame them. I've replaced their dear, departed mother. They must hate me." she stressed

"I'm sure when they meet you..."

"I've began to fear that will never happen. If they will not accept me, how much worse will it be if Andrew and i have a child of our own." I stopped and turned to her.

"Are you?" I questioned excited

"No. Not yet. But children are the natural consequences  of marriage, are they not?" she grinned

"It would appear so, though this one." I rubbed my stomach.

"Are they giving you trouble?" she wondered

"I swear it was easier carrying the boys, though I didn't know there was two of them then. This has not been smooth sailing as my last. But enough of that." I brush off the subject once more.

"Do you think Elizabeth could ever be persuaded to meet me here. Even for half an hour with Geoffrey Charles?" Verity inquired stopping me as we went.

"Verity, I don't think she would do that behind Francis' back." I answer and she nodded

"no, she would not." she agreed the sighed. Something in her posture changed and I turned. There at the end of the street was Francis. I looked between the two and he tipped his hat to us before turning and walking back from hence he came.

"You see. He will never be reconciled."

"Be of good cheer, cousin. Francis will in time, he has with me and soon he will with you. In away he already has, he tipped his hat to you. He's not shouting or cursing your decision. Sometimes victory is in the small things, like Ross sitting down for five minutes without mine documents sprawled everywhere." she laughed a bit. The two of us continued on our way.

------

Not long after I returned home did Mr Trencrom, one of our neighbours arrive unexpectedly. I sat him down in the parlour and had Demelza bring us some tea. My poor feet after today needed a lot of rest. Just as tea was served, Ross returned.

"Mr Trencrom" Ross glanced at me as i rested the saucer on my stomach. I shrugged in response and took a sip of the warm liquid.

"Cap'n Poldark." Mr Trencrom stood in greeting

"What can I do for you, Mr Trencrom?" Ross wondered placing his hat down on the table beside me.

"May a man not call in neighbourly fashion, enquire after your affairs, see how they prosper, speak a little of his own?"  Mr Trencrom asked. Like we couldn't tell he had some kind of news that would effect us.

"Suppose you speak of yours first so I may come to a quicker understanding of your interest in mine?" Ross to a seat next to me as I swapped my cup for my sewing.

"My affairs do far from prosper. Oh, business is brisk, as far as consumption goes. The difficulty  come with supply." Mr Trencrom practically boomed through the parlour.

"So I hear." Ross replied. It was rumoured that Mr Trencrom's main line of business was smuggling, but like we had talked about earlier, they were getting ambushed nearly every shipment

"What do you hear?" Mr Trencrom wondered

"That the customs officials at St Ann's are determined to let nothing slip ashore. And that all your attempts to persuade them with a share of the profits have fallen on deaf ears." Ross summarised

"And now this crackdown from on high means that every time  we find a new landing place, we're met by gaugers and military. All cargo confiscated, crew barely escape with their lives. So here's the thing we've run out of navigable inlets." Mr Trencrom stated and I sat up straight catching onto his thinking and I was calmly livid at the offer.

"And I possess the only one for miles." Ross voiced my terrible thoughts as Trencrom warned us hands by the fire

"Your cove is not ideal but we could land there safely on still night, I'd handle the distribution. All you need to do is draw your curtains." was the suggestion made.

"And what would induce me to do so?" Ross inquired

"Ross.." I gave him a warning tone

"We could discuss a lump sum, per cargo. How does £50 sound?" came the offer and Ross chuckled

"I can see you've not lost your sense of humour." Truncrum laughed as well

"And what would you suggest?"

"£200 per cargo." Ross countered

"Ross!" I protested against him continuing this conversation. It was dangerous and ridiculous. If he was discovered then he would defiantly go to Bodmin jail. I didn't want and couldn't have that.

"My dear sir. Impossible. Make the journey without most profit." Ross was rebuffed in shock.

"Not to forget salt."

"Salt?"

"There's less profit in salt that tea or brandy." Ross replied and I shook my head. I wanted to argue but this was neither the time or place to do so. It would do more harm than good right now.

"Less call for it, among my more genteel customers."

"£200 per cargo and 6 crates of salt that's my price, take it or leave it." Ross offered making our gust exasperate a sigh. There was a long silence  before Trencrom clapped his hands and grinned standing up as did Ross and they shook hands.

"Unbelievable." I mumble slapping my sewing on the table and storming out. I paced back and forth in the kitchen as the others watched.

"Abigail, you mustn't stress it could harm the babe." Demelza stops me

"Try telling him that." I hear the front door close and leave the kitchen