Chapter Two - Before Bodmin

Ross and I rode into town, both of us had business to attend to. I was to see my family lawyer, while Ross went to se Pascoe. I knocked on the door of Mr Wainwright.

"Mistress Poldark, please come in." he stepped aside so that I may enter. We sat down in his office and I removed my gloves.

"You've been my family's lawyer for many years sir." I began

"I have and I was a close friend of your fathers. You were the apple of his eye." he smiled softly

"I know. I also know that unlike my sister he left a trust for me. As you may have heard that trust would be most welcome right now." he nodded in understanding.

"Mistress. I understand your plight but your father was very specific, that you not have it until your 25th Birthday. He wanted you to live your life with out a cushion and know the true value of money, life and love." he informed me

"Which I know, in all fairness it would only a small amount to cover the rising costs. Surely he wouldn't want this. This couldn't be a scenario he envisioned." I pleaded

"I cannot say but as your father 's executor, I must follow his will even now. I give you my deepest apologies." I sighed shaking my head. my Papa was stubborn as a mule even in death.

"Very well, thank you for taking the time to see me." I stood up and he copied my movements

"Mistrees Poldark."

"Yes?"

"Might I say, your father would have been proud at the woman you have become today." he offered which made me smile.

"Thank you, sir." I curtsied and took my leave. I decided not to wait for Ross, but rode on ahead, when I returned to Nampara Henry was giggling at something with Demelza.

"A letter came for ye." she pointed to it on the table.

"Thank you." I took it and opened it as I sat down next to my son and kissed his head.

My Dearest Sister,

I know recent events have caused a breach between our two families, but I wonder if I could persuade Ross and you to visit us at Trenwith tomorrow afternoon, so that we might start the journey of healing.

Your loving sister, Elizabeth.

---------

With Henry asleep in his room I sat on my side of the bed, across from Ross, coming through my curls for the evening.

"Did I mention I saw Unwin Trevaunance, our would be MP, and his intended Ray Penvenen's niece? No doubt she's into for the election at Bodmin." he informed me as he removed his boots.

"I've never been to Bodmin." I say as I slide into bed

"Be grateful your not going now." he countered back

"Why wouldn't I be going now?" I wondered in confusion. I was his wife and I had a right to go.

"The elections take place the same day as the assizes. Town will be seething." he answered removing his waistcoat.

"Will Elizabeth go?" I questioned. So sue me, after my feverish hallucinations my insecurities about my sister had returned. Though I did love her, I felt the need once more to keep her at arms length and sometimes she would get slight jabs in her name.

"I shouldn't think so." he replied now getting into bed

"She sent us a note." I told him

"What could she want?" He asked as I leant my head on his shoulder.

"The same as I. You did promise me after Jonathan's death that we would all be reconciled." I reminded him again despite my hallucinations arms length but loved.

"You still want that?" He inquired

"With the trial looming over us. Maybe it will ease all the pain and fears that have haunted us for the past while."