Piccata

*~*
dimora- a large, dwelling house.
*~*

It was two in the morning.

All three of us were completely disoriented.

"Are we there yet?" Eva's tired voice mumbled.

"I think so," I responded.

Adonis stopped at an iron gate. There were two bodyguards on either side of the gate.

I felt my hands become clammy.

"They won't hurt you," Adonis said quietly. When I looked at him, I saw he was already looking at me.

I heard a loud buzz and then the sound of creaking. I looked ahead to see the gates were slowly opening.

He sped down the long driveway. There was only one car outside.

"Where is the huge family?" I asked him with a teasing grin on my face.

He smiled. "Most of them won't make it until later."

I nodded in understanding since I forgot it was a new day.

I felt the car slow down as he circled the wrap-around driveway and parked in front of the house.

The Veretti's house was massive. I didn't know why I was so surprised. It was a tan-colored modern-style mansion. Their roof was a curved timber design. I found it interesting because it was rare to see roofs like this one.

"Mommy, where are we?" Eva asked me.

I looked back at her. "We're at Adonis's house," I responded. I figured I could call it his since he grew up here.

"Adonis already has a house," she said with a giggle.

"Adonis has a lot of houses," I said.

He looked at me with a grin on his stupid face. "Are you mocking me?" he asked me.

"Yeah." I smiled at his amusement.

"Eva, listen closely to the game plan," he said as he unplugged his phone from his charger.

She unbuckled her seatbelt and leaned over the armrest. "I'm listening," she said a little too loudly.

"Today, we are going to have a lot of fun."

I smiled when I saw her eyes light up. "Will I have friends to play with?" she asked.

He nodded. "You will. And there will be a lot of games and food."

She squealed and clapped her hands. We both laughed at her gleeful expression.

"First, we have to sneak in and go to sleep."

"I have very light steps," she whispered before putting her index finger over her lips.

"Well, get your bag and let's go," he said dramatically.

He winked at me before getting out of the car.

I playfully rolled my eyes and got out of the car. Adonis opened Eva's door and took her duffel bag from her.

"Thank you," I heard her say.

I walked behind them as I took in our surroundings.

I noticed how some houses had balconies while others didn't. Of course, Adonis's parents had a balcony on each side of the house.

The entire community was gated, but each house had its own iron gate in the front. I saw that the Veretti's residence was the only one on the block with guards. It made sense because of their line of work, but I wondered if anyone was curious.