Semifreddo

*~*
vestiario- clothes collectively
*~*

I spent the entire day cleaning before I got an idea of what to make for dinner. Since I didn't want to touch Adonis's cars, I decided to wait until he came home from work. I knew I would face his wrath, but I would rather do that than drive one of his cars.

"You see these keys? These are for cars. Do you know what cars are for?"

"Driving," I responded absentmindedly as I sauntered through the store. He looked perplexed by the way I responded.

"Do you have a license?"

"Si."

I figured it was best if I acted like his tantrum wasn't entertaining. The look on his face when I answered was like no other. I truly believed he was the drama queen between the two of us.

"Do you find this amusing, Estella?"

I turned to look at him when he said my name. His face was serious.

"Adonis, I do not want to drive your expensive cars. I do not want to live in your penthouse wearing La Perla pajamas while you are at work. I am not used to this life, and I do not think I can adapt this."

It was true. When Mr. Veretti told me to dress the part, I felt uncomfortable. I was reminded that I was nothing like them. Nor would I ever be. Eva may have a chance because she was still young. She had twelve more years to grow into this lifestyle, but I wasn't comfortable.

Adonis's seemed to read my thoughts because his face softened. "Mi dispiace, piccola," he whispered before pulling me into his embrace.

I pouted and rested my head on his chest.

"She didn't take her meds this morning," I heard him mumble.

I pulled away to see a woman walking by us with a small frown on her face.

"Stop saying that," I scolded as I slapped his chest.

He chuckled and kissed my cheek. "So what are we doing for Eva's birthday?"

I froze in my spot. Merda.

"I am a terrible person," I mumbled as I dropped my head in my hands.

"I reminded her on the ride to school," he said. "You two have been so caught up in each other. You both forgot, and it was a simple mistake."

I sighed when Adonis rubbed my back. "Where have you been all my life?"

"Hiding from you and your drink-throwing tendencies."

I facepalmed him and rolled my eyes before pushing shopping the cart in the opposite direction.

"What time will Esperanza be bringing Eva home?"

"Around six. Right before dinner. The kids usually go with Mario. Mom helps them with homework and projects. They play video games and eat snacks, and then it's time to go home."

"She is such a good person," I mumbled as I thought about what she goes through to be a perfect housewife. She was extremely good at it.

"That's my mom for you," Adonis replied. I pouted when I heard the tiredness in his tone. The feeling of guilt took over me. Here I was dragging him around Milan after he had a long, tiring day at work.

The rest of the shopping was silent as I pondered over what to do for Eva. It was going to be her seventh birthday. I hadn't celebrated with her since she was three. I glanced at Adonis to see him deep in his thoughts.