Recovery

Damian~

My hearing is the first sense to awaken. Whatever room I'm in is silent except for the steady beeping of a heart monitor.

I listen closer, trying to figure out exactly where I am. The only other thing I can hear is very light, yet slow breathing as if whoever is here is sleeping.

As I start to gain feeling in my body, I realize I'm in the Cave. The med bay cots are distinctly uncomfortable. The more feeling I gain the less I want. My entire torso aches as if I just went through extensive training without stretching beforehand.

I crack my eyes open, the dimmed fluorescents making me regret that decision. I glance over to where the breathing is coming from.

My heart melts at the sight of Cora. She's asleep in a cot that has been pushed close to mine. Her arm is outstretched towards me. She has just the slightest bit of drool beside her mouth.

She looks beautiful. It worries me that she's here though. Did she get hurt too? Did I hurt her?!

That thought sends panic through my system, making the heart monitor speed up. I try to sit up and the dull ache of my body turns to a sharp clawing sensation.

I am forced to lay back down by my body's weakness, but my eyes scan over her, trying to assess if she's hurt or not. She doesn't seem to be hurt, she's not hooked up to an IV or a heart monitor. I see no visible injuries or bandages.

In fact, she looks peaceful. I'm reminded of how serene she looks while asleep. I reach out my arm to hold her hand. It's sore but worth it. A small smile appears on her unconscious face.

I let my body relax, which is most likely better for me to recover quickly. I remain holding Cora's hand.

Her loose grip tightens a little, I hear her take a deep breath. Her eyes flutter open. The gentle smile on her face widens when she spots me. I like that smile.

"Dami, good morning." She says, her voice a little different from sleep. It's sweet and airy.

"Good morning." I rasp out, wincing slightly at how sore my throat is. She notices and her smile falls.

"Let me get you some water." She says, concern lacing every feature.

She starts to get up and walk around my cot. I tighten my hold on her hand.

"Stay," I plead, my voice betraying me by sounding scratchy and weak. It works, though. Cora sits on the cot beside mine. I smile a little, just so she knows I'm okay.

I hear a knock at the metal door, making both of us look toward the intruder. I should say, intruders.

Father, Grayson, Drake, Todd, and Pennyworth stand in the doorway. I sigh, yet I won't let go of Cora's hand. It's not as if they don't know about my feelings. They're the ones who told me what they are.

"How are you feeling master Damian?" Pennyworth speaks, starting to check my vitals while Grayson helps me to sit up. I end up letting go of Cora's hand as he does so. I dislike this coddling.

"Bad." Is all I say. My throat burns if I talk too much, and I would prefer not to waste my words going into detail.

Father hands me a glass of water, I take it with the hand that wasn't holding Cora's, just in case.

"How much do you remember?" He speaks gruffly, yet I can hear the concern in his tone. He turns into quite the 'daddy bats', as Grayson calls it, whenever one of us gets hurt.

"Not much. I remember getting hit with Joker gas, you knocking him out, and nothing after that. What happened to me?" I say, trying to keep my sentences short. The water helped the burn in my throat, but it's still sore.