Coming to a Close

Cora~

I walk down the rotten wood aisle. It smells like dust and mildew. The yellowed light flickers above me.

I sigh, seeing that they do not have any CD Players. This is the 3rd shop I've checked. My mom is checking out some floral dresses and jewelry. She's the one that drove me to a nearby city.

Coming up behind her I tap gently on her shoulder. She turns with a hopeful look on her face. I shake my head and her face softens to one of pity and comfort.

"It's almost 1 honey, do you want to check any other stores before you go?" She asks. The plan is to have me back in the other dimension by 1:30.

"No thanks. I'm sure there are thrift stores in, uh, the new place." I say. I almost said, Gotham. I doubt anyone is paying attention, but I want to be careful regardless.

"If you're sure. Make one of the boys buy it for you though. I don't want you spending your allowance to fix their mistakes." She states. I can only shrug. We leave the store, walking to her car.

"At least none of the CDs got broken. I took out the one I had the last time I left." I offer her a smile. She sighs. I know she's not happy with them. She is the one who gave it to me in the first place.

"So you still have the CD we made you then?" She asks. I nod, happy with the brighter topic.

"Yep! Still my favorite. I might want a new one for my birthday though." I caution, she laughs.

"Of course sweetie, I'll pop over for a visit, don't worry." She says happily. I'm happy to hear that. I'm gonna miss her.

"Do you think Dad would come? What are you even going to tell him?" I ask. She tenses a little.

"I'm sure he wouldn't miss it. As long as you're okay with me telling him the truth." She explains. I flash her a smile.

"I don't mind. You know how I feel about lying." I state. She gives a playful scoff.

"Oh yes, so running away to a different dimension without telling anyone doesn't count then?" She says lightly, no real jab behind her words.

"Oh no, of course not. That would be scandalous." I say dramatically. She laughs with me. I'm really glad she isn't mad at me.

"Oh, before I forget. Are you okay if I put the portal thing in the storage unit? That way you can visit Charlotte as often as you want." She asks.

"Yeah, sounds like that could work. I might have some trouble getting out. Maybe she would come to pick me up?" I ask, more to myself than to my mom.

"Sounds like a plan. And you're sure you're okay with going back?" She asks gently. I take a deep breath and nod.

"Yeah. It's not like they meant to break it. And I guess I can always get a new one. Assuming I can find it." I say with as much confidence as I can muster.

We fall into a comfortable silence not long after that. I watch street signs and road markers fly past my window. My thoughts from last night return to me.

I think about each boy's reaction. Damian was calm and seemed more concerned about me than himself. Richy and Jasey seemed more ashamed of their actions than actually scared. But then there's Tim.

He was shaking, I could feel his hands trembling when I took my backpack from him. Not to mention the things he said. Do I really scare him that much? I guess I've never seen how I look when I'm angry, and he also doesn't know me as well as I know the other boys.

He was in his room most of the time he was living with me, and when we got to his dimension, I didn't see him around a lot. Maybe I should take some time to get to know him. Maybe then he won't be scared of me.