Chapter 36: You've Paid The Price

Your POV

How could he just do that? He just walked over and without even saying a word he kissed you. It doesn't make sense. Surely he didn't think he was... Oh no. With the thought, you are hit with a sudden feeling of guilt. He did. That's exactly what he thought. It didn't work, so he obviously isn't. The look on his face, he's obviously realized what's happened. It was all just a misunderstanding. His face is heartbreaking, even if he isn't your true love. It just... Do you love him? You don't think so. Could you? Maybe, come to think of it, you've never really given him a chance. Sure, there was that one time on the plane, but other than that you've been focused on Dark and Wilford. 

Suddenly, you're snapped back to reality by Mark rushing into the room Wilford is in. 

Mark's POV

I can't believe I did that. God, I'm so stupid. I was so sure though. I knew that it was me. At least, I thought it was. Why did I have to do that? "What's wrong?" Wilford asks, snapping my out of my thoughts. "Nothing," I say not wanting to talk about it. "Come on, Mark. I know something's wrong. You aren't exactly trying to hide it." I just want him to shut up at this point. I don't want to discuss this with him. I just want to figure out what we need to do and get out of here. We already know what we have to do but we don't know who, that's the problem. 

"Okay then, just ignore me," he says rudely. I don't even reply to that. I don't care right now. I just want to go home. Home to LA, and curl up in a ball and do nothing. I have no motivation right now. She has been my motivation for years, my entire life to be exact. What am I suppose to do now? Sure, I have all my fans, but I don't really have a connection with them on the level (F/n) and I had. We had something real then she forgot it completely. Or maybe I was just imagining it the entire time. What if we never had that spark? Everything starts to click in my mind. I feel like my entire life has been a lie. 

Your POV

You decide it's best to not go after him. It's best to leave him alone to just think. Everyone needs thinking time every now and then. You decide to sit back down and read some more of the book. You turn to the next page, hoping there will be something that will give you an answer. Not even a blunt answer at this point, just a clue, a hint, anything. 

You read the words, wishing for something useful. Finally, you find something. Reading the words, you know what you have to do. 

You've paid the price. Your suffering will end soon. Your memory has long gone. You loved once. You must learn to love again.