Chapter 11 ~Red Rain~

Stryker POV

I wanted nothing more than to stand up and march over towards him and use anything I could to rip his heart out. But the pleading look in her eyes stopped me, he scared her. I could see her trembling with the fear. My hands tightened on the table top and I took a deep breath.

“We aren’t here for him, we’re here for the man he’s meeting with” I said opening my eyes.

“Stryker?” she whispered sitting up taller in surprise.

“Smile” I said reaching across the table taking her hand gently.

She looked down at our hands and her face began to go red, she gave a shy smile and nodded her head.

“So we’re still waiting for Karl?” She asked looking out at the window.

“Yeah, Just relax. It could be a while until he arrives so we need to be patient.”

She nodded her head and her hand tightened on mine, I smiled warmly at her and tried to think of a way to keep her talking.

“Whats your favourite colour?” I asked tilting my head to look at her.

“Colour? Uhm, Blue, and White” She said nodding her head.

“Blue and white? Why?”

She looked up at me and her face went a little red, “It’s the colours that are always in the sky”

“You really like the sky don’t you?”

“I didn’t know what it looked like for the first ten years of my life, when I did see it it became the most beautiful thing in the world”

“Red where did you come from?” I asked her leaning forward.

“I cant tell you that”

I sighed in frustration, “Why?”

“Lets just say for my safety I cant tell you.” She said pulling her hand away from mine, I closed my eyes and leaned back in my chair watching her.

She tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear and rolled her lips. The silence that settled between us was awkward and was getting worse the longer we waited.

“Sir, Madame. Your food” Fate was now at out table with our plates balanced on his arms.

He set Reds down first giving her a warm smile turning to me and setting my plate down, he leaned in shuffling things around. He nodded and turned away, I ran my hands along the edge of my plate and found the piece of paper he had tucked under it.

Red was staring longingly at her plate but didn’t eat.

I pulled the paper out with my napkin and began to unfold the napkin. I quickly scanned over the paper and grimaced before smoothing the napkin over my lap. I looked up at Red and couldn’t hide the smile as she watched her plate.

“You can eat now” I said lifting my fork and knife up.

She looked up at me and nodded her head, my curiosity as to where she ahd come from was growing. At least she shared something new with me, I knew something more about her. Her childhood was spent indoors away from the outside world. She was an interesting character and I wanted to know more about her.

“This is delicious” she murmured lifting more noodles up to her mouth.

I laughed softly shaking my head digging into my own dinner, the note made my stomach twist in knots. Karl was dead, Webb found him out back. Which made me question why the Don was sitting here waiting.