The Accords

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack." Alrina chose to sit on the opposite side of the table from Natasha, wanting to keep both her girlfriend and her best friend in her line of sight. She could also make Natasha see her facial expressions, which was an immediate eye roll when the Secretary opened his mouth. "I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt, you have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives. But while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Alrina could tell Natasha was over this conversation just about as much as she was, the redhead was just better at putting on a face.

"How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" Natasha has to slightly kick Alrina in the leg when she saw the woman open her mouth, knowing nothing good would come from a full blown argument right now. Instead they all look to the screen behind the man as he flips through the Avengers Greatest Hits.

"New York." The large Leviathan flying through the sky brought back memories Alrina didn't particularly like.

"Washington D.C" The explosion of the Helicarriers felt like it was just last week, when in reality it was years ago. The helicopter holding the two women at the table was seen in the background fleeing a collapsing building.

"Sokovia." Screaming civilians, bloody crumbled roads. Alrina had to check on her friend, seeing her unable to look away from her home being destroyed.

"Lagos." Alrina didn't have to look at the screen, Wanda's face was enough to make her blood boil at the Secretary's actions.

"That's enough." Wanda looks towards her friend, slightly nodding in thanks before the two look back at the man at the head of the table.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate, but I think we have a solution." A thud of the contract draws everyone's attention to the table. Wanda is the first to look at the large stack of papers, seeing the title before pushing it away from her. Alrina almost has the same reaction, tossing it down the table to Rhodey.

"The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries. It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization, instead they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel. Only when and if that panel deems necessary." Alrina rolls her eyes, leaning back in her chair completely over the lecture of the choices they've made to keep this world from complete destruction.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Alrina nods at Steve's words.

"Tell me Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Alrina looks across the table to Natasha, who looks down at the vocalization of her missing friend. "If I misplaced a couple megaton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

"So, there are contingencies."

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the accords. Talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" The two former assassins share a glance, talking with their eyes to come up with a plan.

"Then you retire." The two women smile at each other, the blonde shrugging at the Secretaries suggestion, before he leaves the room to let them mull over the Accords.