5.4) Curiosity kills the cat

"Mahesh, I don't know what really happened. Trust me, I didn't do anything intentionally", I said as I tried to get up.
"You think it's funny to bring up my sister in this fight between you and me ?!", he roared again. He was clearly pissed off.

"Usually I don't say this.. but I'm sorry ok ? I'm sorry Mayuri. I didn't mean to-"
"You bastard!!", Mahesh charged towards me with all his might. I couldn't block him. He pushed me towards the wall.

I tried to evade his attacks but he continued to attack like a raging bull. Aditya, where are you ?? I tried the normal punches, but it seemed Mahesh's anger was overwhelming his response to pain. I had no other choice left.

I took a few steps back. And prepared myself.
First kick to his torso, second to his head. Third, spin kick to his face. Knock-out.
Mayuri's jaw literally dropped.
"He's fine.. he'll wake up after sometime", I said as I secretly tried to channel my energy to him via his hand.

"Vedant ! Now in my office !", Gawde sir said as he entered the classroom.
"I'm sorry I didn't mean it", I told Mayuri as she tried to wake Mahesh up.

***

"I'm sick of your fights Vedant. You are in 9th std now. You aren't a kid anymore. You have to think about your future", Gawde sir started with his usual lecture as we found ourselves sitting in the A.C. cabin.
"Are you even listening ?", he asked.

"Yes.. yes sir.. I'm not a kid anymore..", I defended myself.
"You have to think about your career now. These fights, this anger you have.. it won't take you anywhere. It'll just eat you up from the inside."

"Yes sir", I hummed.
"I'm not calling your parents. I believe you can do better. You are smart, you can improve", he said.

***

"You are smart, you can improve", Aditya mimicked Gawde sir as we made our way to the cycle stand.
"This whole puberty thing is confusing. Why is it supposed to be so.. secretive ?", I asked.

"I don't know, it's supposed to be that way it seems", Aditya said as he unlocked his cycle.
"Who should I ask then ?", I said as we made our way out of GCC : Gawde Coaching Classes, Alibag.

I noticed Snigdha waiting for us.. for Aditya.
"Heya", she waved. Aditya waved back.
"Vedant, we'll talk later okay ?", he tried to get away alone with her.
"Hey what about me ?", I asked. "I thought we were going together."

"I'm sorry mate", Aditya said as he drove away.
"Chamdi sala", I remarked as I raced my cycle. That's when I saw Mayuri waiting for someone with her cycle.

"Hey.. about what happened..", I said as I stopped.
"I know.. it's okay. I'm used to them now", she muttered. "You going alone today ?"

"Yeah Aditya went with Snigdha and I couldn't disturb them-"
"Snigdha is with Aditya ?", she gasped.
"Yeah why ?"
"I guess I should've seen that coming. She's having fun and here I'm waiting for her..", she said as she sat on her seat again.

"I should get going then", I said as I noticed Mahesh staring at me from the opposite side of road. "Or else your brother will eat me alive."
Mayuri giggled. "Yeah, he can be overprotective sometimes. Let's go then, shall we ? Phoenix Fighter ?", she said as raced away. Wait what ?!

I raced along too. "I think you are having some misunderstanding. I'm not what you think I'm", I tried to laugh it off.
"Vedant, I know", she stopped her cycle all of a sudden. I stopped too behind her.
"Listen, it's not like-"

"I even know what problem you are facing", she said as she crossed her arms around her chest. "Because even I'm facing it."
"What are you talking about ?", I asked as I looked around. We weren't on the usual road.

It was some deserted area.
Track-21, I recalled the name somehow.

"Puberty. Even I haven't yet got the puberty everyone's so excited about", she said as she got off from her cycle and walked towards me. "Girls usually get their first period by 10-11 years in India. And here I'm 14 years old. I look like a kid. No estrogen. No progesterone. No fat deposition at mammary glands and hips. No wonder I lack curves that every other girl from our class has. No wonder why they tease me. No wonder-"

"Mayuri !!", I yelled to stop her monologue. "It's just too much to process right now", I remarked as I tried to make sense of the weird words I'd heard for the first time.

"I know how it feels when you ask questions no one can answer", she was literally crying by now.
"Uh. Stop crying please. Actually.. I know someone who can answer our questions", I said as I scratched my head.

"Who's it ?", she asked.
"Some guy called Dr.Gaikwad from something called REDZ", I revealed.