Chapter 36 : Dirty Laundry

I was only ten when my mom introduced me to her friend's daughter. They said her name was Mimi.

I believed our mothers when they told us that she and I would be the best of friends for the rest of our lives. . . that we will have each other's backs at all times. So, when Mimi put the blame on me when she accidentally broke her mother's expensive lipstick, I chose help her by keeping my mouth shut. After all, we still have the rest of our lives together. I believed that she will stick out for me too.

When Mimi broke my dolls, I helped her by throwing them away. I didn't think much of it. I'd rather play with friends than play with dolls anyway.

In fourth grade, Mimi told everyone that I was already having my period. I felt embarrassed and cried myself to sleep, but I didn't really feel angry at Mimi. She apologized, that's what mattered to me.

Mimi did more things that upset me, pero hindi ako nagtanim ng sama ng loob sa kanya. Hindi rin naman ako perpektong kaibigan. Naisip ko ngang mas marami akong nagawang kasalanan sa kanya kasi para bang lagi siyang galit sa akin. Minsan ko nga ring naisip na baka ayaw talaga sa akin ni Mimi at napipilitan lang siyang kaibiganin ako, at dahil doon ay lalo akong nagpursigi na pasayahin siya. God knows how much I tried to be a good friend to her.

I was heartbroken when I found out that Mimi and our other friends never really saw me as a friend. It hurt like hell, but I chose to accept things as they are and stayed away.

I tried not to think about the past and focused on the present.

However, hearing Mimi laugh about my most painful wound suddenly made me think back to all the times she made me cry and feel small.

The things that never bothered me started to burn every fiber of my being.

The mistakes I thought I made suddenly disappeared. All of them.

I used to think I deserved every hurtful remark and silent treatment from her, but in that moment, I realized that I never deserved anything because God knows how much I tried to please her.

The moment I heard Mimi say awful things about my parents . . . I just lost it.

I've never felt so lost, confused, and angry.

I was only sure of one thing.

I wanted to hurt Mimi in the worst way possible.

I wanted to see her bleed.

I picked up the plastic trash can right next to the toilet bowl and pushed both Argentina and Izzy aside. I burst out of the cubicle and threw the trash can to Mimi's head, full force.

The four wretched bitches didn't see me coming. They were all too busy laughing right in front of the sink's wide mirror. Lumikha ng malakas na tunog ang pagtama ng basurahan sa ulo ni Mimi, kasabay ng muntikan niyang pagsubsob sa lababo. The dirty toilet paper and other garbage didn't pour on her, but the horrified look on her face did it for me.