Chapter 57 : Safe Space

It felt as if a bomb had exploded right in front of my face. I just stood there and watched as Remy weeped, telling me how scared she was—and honesty, so was I.

A child. My older brother's going to have his own child.

"W-we sat next to each other at the bar. M-my boyfriend broke up with me and your brother said his girlfriend broke up with him too. I was heartbroken! W-we were both drunk and we—" Remy sobbed uncontrollably, almost breathless. 

I pressed my palms against my temples, trying hard to process everything. 

"J-Joe, hindi ko alam anong gagawin ko! Itinakwil na ako ng mga magulang ko at wala na akong ibang mapupuntahan! I haven't even landed a job yet! Walang-wala ako, Joe! I came here to ask for help, but your brother ran away from me—" She cried and cried until she couldn't speak anymore.

Pregnancies are supposed to be celebrated, but at that moment, I felt nothing but fear and absolute fury.

Kuya Lorenzo lied and manipulated his way into marrying Ate Piper, only to cheat on her before the wedding. He even left her at the altar. Worst of all, he got someone pregnant. And as if that wasn't enough, it was Remy that he knocked up.

How is my brother going to be a good father when he's an absolute piece of shit?!

It felt as if all my love for my brother just got thrown out the window. All that was left were disgust and resentment. And truth be told, I felt utterly betrayed. Pakiramdam ko bumalik ulit ako noong gabing nalaman ko ang totoo tungkol sa mga magulang ko.

We promised that we will never repeat our parents' mistakes! He promised!

I hated him what he had done to Ate Piper, but I hated him more for the situation he has condemned his child into.

"Who else knows about the baby?" My voice trembled.

Umiling si Remy at pilit na nagsalita sa pagitan ng mga hikbi. "M-my parents . . . Your brother and his friends . . . "

Somehow, I felt relieved that my parents didn't know about it yet. Knowing them, tiyak akong pangungunahan lang nila sina Kuya at Remy. Worst case scenario, they might take away the baby from Remy or force them into a loveless marriage. Both should never happen.

"You should talk to my brother again before letting my parents know—"

"J-Joe, I already told your brother! He doesn't want anything to do with me or our baby—"

"Then I will take care of you and the baby!" My words came out on a whim, but I meant every word.

I honestly didn't want anything to do with Remy, but what else could I do? Nasa sinapupunan na niya ang pamangkin ko.