Chapter 53 : It's Time

When we got home from the hospital, sinalubong agad kami ng management na namamahala sa apartment. Gusto nilang ipa-blotter namin ang insidente lalo't marami sa mga kapitbahay namin ang nagreklamo at nabahala sa nangyari, but I couldn't let it happen—Kuya Lorenzo is still my brother.

In the end, all I could do was apologize to everyone and promise that it will never happen again. However, to some neighbors, my words weren't enough. Some of them continued to glare angrily at us, some even badmouthed me for bringing trouble to the apartment where their families live. Cyprus attempted to argue and reason with them, but I held his hand tight and just shook my head. Kung ako ang nasa posisyon ng mga kapitbahay namin, I would get upset too.

As we got inside the elevator, away from the angry neighbors and management staff, I finally breathed a sigh and let my tears flow.

Cyprus placed his arm around me, enclosing me in his warm shelter. When the elevator doors opened, he lead me to my unit.

As we both sat down on my couch, I could only stare at his wounded face with tears in my eyes.

Sobrang sakit para sa akin na makita ang bugbog-saradong mukha ni Cyprus. His left eye was swollen shut, he had bruises all over his face and arms, his lips were busted, and the nurses had to stitch up the side of his eyebrow.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry." I reached out to caress his face, sobbing.

Umiling si Cyprus at hinawakan ang kamay ko at saka ito dahan-dahang ibinaba.

"It's time you stop apologizing for your brother's misdeeds." Although his words were firm and bold, he continued to hold my hand gently. "This is not your fault."

Umiling ako, sumisinghap sa pagitan ng bawat hagulgol. "N-no, this is my fault. I brought my brother to your life. He was here because of me. He beat you up because of me. Kung wala ako rito, hindi ka masasaktan—"

Umiling-iling siya at dinampian ng halik ang kamay ko. "Your brother is a piece of shit, and none of it is your fault."

I could only close my eyes shut and let myself cry harder.

I remember it clearly—how my brother beat up Cyprus mercilessly, unprovoked.

Cyprus didn't even try to fight back until I got hurt.

Marahan niyang hinawakan ang pisngi ko gamit ang namamaga niya pang kamay. Unti-unti naman akong dumilat at tiningnan siya sa mga mata. "Th-this could only be the beginning. . . Baka mas lalo ka pang masaktan. Baka pati ang daddy ko, may kung ano ring gawing masama sa 'yo? Sigurado ka na ba talaga sa akin?"

It hurts to say these words, but I know that it would hurt me more to see him suffer because of me and the people in my life, "Cyprus, I won't hate you if you change your mind. While it's still early, you can—"