Chapter 51 : Haunted

Our classes ended earlier than I expected. Instead of calling Cyprus to pick me up, I happily dropped by our favorite café and got his favorite beef jerky before heading home.

I wanted to drop by my unit first to change my clothes and freshen up a little, but I got too excited to see him.

Using the keys he gave me, I went inside his unit like I always did. The smile on my face disappeared when I found him hunched over the dining table, his laptop open right next to him. He fell asleep while working. Again.

I kept telling him not to overwork himself, but he just never listens.

Bumuntonghininga ako at nagtanggal na lamang ng sapatos at bag. Habang dahan-dahang naglalakad patungo sa kanya, nagsimula akong makapansin ng kakaiba sa kanya.

A wave of worry washed over me when I realized that he was sweating bullets and trembling a little. He looked so scared, his shoulders were even raising up and down as he continued to breath heavily.

I bent down next to him and gently caressed his cheek with the back of my hand.

"Cyprus?" I called out to him slowly and softly, trying not to startle him with my presence. "Baby, you're having a bad dream."

Despite my efforts, Cyprus sprang up his seat, gasping for air. Dazed and panicked, he started looking around. And when his eyes set on mine, he heaved a great sigh of relief and hugged me tight.

My mouth hung open when I saw tears stream down his eyes. How terrible was his dream for him to end up crying like this?

I could feel his chest pumping across mine. Moments have passed but he was still chasing his breath. He held on to me like I was some life preserver that saved him from drowning.

Marami mang tanong at lubos ang pag-aalala, mas pinili ko na lamang na yakapin siya. "It's okay. You were just having a bad dream. I'm here, it's okay."

***

While Cyprus was in his bathroom, taking a shower. I returned to my unit and quickly called Argentina.

"What's up?" she asked with her typical bored voice.

I looked up at the ceiling and heaved a loud sigh. "Hey, I know I sound praning but I'm just really worried about Cyprus. He suddenly had this really bad dream and I don't know—"

"Wait, bumalik?" Argentina's voice changed drastically. She sounded worried in an instant.

"Bumalik?" Dumoble lalo ang pag-aalala ko. "Argentina, what's this about?"

I heard her heave a loud sigh. "Hindi ko rin alam kasi hindi talaga siya nagsasabi sa amin kahit na anong pilit namin. He would just walk out whenever we try to talk to him about it. If our observations are correct, this happens whenever he's happy—he gets these really bad dreams to the point that he'd wake up screaming and crying."