Chapter 38 : Home is Where the Heart Aches

There was nothing but silence the moment we entered the gates. All of the lights are on and the living room door is left wide open. I turned to look at Kuya and he just continued walking like his head was in the clouds. Bakas ang pagod sa namumula niyang mga mata, at alam kong pareho kami.

Pagpasok namin sa bahay, pareho kaming natigilan nang makita sina Mommy at Daddy na nakatayo malapit sa dulo ng hagdan. Dad had his arms crossed, his face was red and angry. On the other hand, Mom was crying and yelling.

Seeing them made my head spin once again. Ni hindi ko marinig ang mga salitang lumalabas mula sa bibig ni Mommy. Ang alam ko lang ay nag-uunahan na naman ulit ang mga luha ko at para na naming pinupunit ang puso ko.

It sucks. Seeing your parents and the only thing you feel is pain.

"Run to your room," I heard my brother whisper.

Before any of us could make another move, our parents turned to look at us with contrasting facial expression.

"Joana sweetie," Mom said, covering her mouth to stop her sobbing. She took a step toward me, but Dad moved faster.

"Rob!" I heard mom scream his name.

"Do you have any idea what you've done?!" Dinuro ako ni Daddy, nanggagalaiti. Minsan na niya akong napagtaasan ng boses noon, pero hindi ganito.

I felt scared looking at his hostile glare, but at the same time, I also felt angry.

Why is he mad that I hurt Mimi? She made me suffer emotionally for years and even threw a dodgeball to my face!

"I got back at the g-girl who tormented me for years," my voice cracked between my words, tears falling down my face. "Why do you care about her? Is she your daughter too?"

"Langya." I heard Kuya chuckle from the background.

Dad's forehead creased, but his rage-filled eyes were unchanging. "You assaulted a girl at school and now everyone's talking about you! The girl and her family is pressing charges against you! She has even posted a video detailing what happened, and it's already raking in views! Do you know what this can do to our family's reputation?! Our legacy?!"

"Right . . . " I nodded, moistening my trembling lips. "Don't worry Dad. I'm sure your money can fix it, tutal sabi ni Mommy mukha naman daw pera ang pamilya nila—"

"Apologize!" Dad's voice thundered. "Tell her personally that you're sorry and put out a public apology!"

My father's words left me frozen for a second.

"Apologize?" I looked up at his eyes and smiled bitterly. "Why? I'm not sorry for what I've done."

My father's mouth fell open. From my periphery, I saw Mom's eyes widen. And once again, I heard my brother laugh in astonishment.