SIX |

SIX |

"Who have you become?" I whispered. 

"Enough of this," Prince Erik grunted, "Fionn we must go now. We're already running late. You have seen her alive and well, let us go now." 

I curtsied again, saying nothing. 

"Well now little brother," Bram sighed, "They haven't seen each other in years, we should give them more time together. Surely your guards can wait." 

Prince Erik's eyes narrowed, "You should mind your own brother. It is not your place."

I looked between the two, sensing a terrible crackle. My teeth dug into my bottom lip. Bram's posture stayed relaxed but I could see the anger in his eyes. Then Fionn stepped forward, placing a hand on the young prince's shoulder. It seemed to calm the prince, and he stepped back. Without another word, Prince Erik stormed off, and Fionn followed but not before sending me an excited look. 

A sigh escaped my lips as they left, suddenly I found myself tired. 

"Please excuse my brother's behaviour," Bram said softly, "If you'd allow me I would be happy to escort you to your new room, and perhaps once you've settled I can give you a tour."

I nodded, "I would like that, thank you Prince Bram. For everything." 

"It is my pleasure—" 

"Prince Bram you utter fool where the bloody hell have you been?" the words were a wild roar which cut through the stable. 

I looked up, and as I did, Bram went flying. I let out a shriek, as a man dressed in elemental attire had given Bram a flying kick. Bram let out an oof landing flat on his back. I hurried over to the elemental guard, pulling him back by the arm. 

"What are you doing?" I gasped. 

Bram began laughing, "That was a good one Benji!" 

"You're laughing?" both the attacker—Benji and I sputtered at the same time. 

Bram sat up, brushing dust off his sleeves. He had a bright smile on his face as he rose. My fingers left Benji's arm and when they did, Benji held a hand out to Bram. I looked between the two, curiosity like a fat cat in my stomach. 

"Terribly sorry Benji," Bram chuckled, "I went for a little ride." 

The ebony elemental guard glanced over at me, "And came back with a lady?" 

"She is Lady Roisin," Bram hummed. 

Benji's golden eyes widened, "Is that so?"

"H-Hello sir," I whispered then went to curtsy when Bram's arm stopped me. 

"He is an elemental guard," Bram said, "But your brother is a royal elemental. You cannot curtsy to him, it would be considered an insult to Benji. He would lose status and your brother would be at the hand of gossip."

My face heated, "I-I-I didn't know."

"It is alright Lady Roisin," Benji chuckled, "I too came from a small village. I didn't know how a proper elemental ought to act. As a guard and as a gentry. It took me years to be accepted by the academy let alone two years to finally be sponsored by the Barnard family." 

"Oh," I breathed, a weight on my chest.

"Benji you're causing stress to the lady's heart," Bram scoffed, "Ciara do ignore him. You will not need a sponsored noble family; your brother holds his own nobility status. As for the academy, you will be accepted because--" 

"—because of my brother's name," I muttered. 

Bram looked apologetic, "Yes." 

I sighed; I was proud of Fionn. Truly; I was proud of my brother and all that he had accomplished. However, I couldn't help but feel sour about myself. He had done so much in the past six years and I had done nothing but burry Mama and collect a bag of honey. I felt like a shadow in the wind compared to him. 

"We should be off," Benji said, "it'll be raining soon. And Lady Roisin ought to change before people learn of her identity. A noble woman ought not dress like a commoner." 

I blushed, "Alright." 

"Please take my arm my lady," Bram said, "I shall take you into the castle now."

I took it and we were off. With Benji trudging along behind us. To my surprise, no one glanced out way as we crossed the large courtyard and entered the castle gates. Inside, I was astonished by the beautiful marble floors and golden walls. Inside the maids were dressed in well-made brown gowns and the guards floating around in elemental attire. 

"It can be a lot to take in," Bram chuckled. 

I smiled brightly, "But it's beautiful. Utterly astonishing."

"You should view the castle during the festivals," he replied with a small laugh, "Or when the castle hosts any balls. My mother does enjoy hosting these events." 

Ah yes, Queen Yarrow. She was hated in my village but both the king and the queen were. They didn't understand how the royal city could ignore our suffering while hosting such expensive events. They ate venison and drank honey infused wine while we staved. Queen Yarrow was known throughout the kingdom for being beautiful but also ignorant to her kingdom's suffering, while King Yarrow was known for being harsh but also fair. I remember one year the drought was so bad in my village, he sent a bag of hundreds of wheat seeds. It was a wonder he'd even notice our small village. 

Of course, this is all opinions unspoken out loud. 

"Even without a ball," I settled on saying, "the castle seems very lively."

He nodded, "It always is."

Bram lead me through the first floor and then up the first tower's steps and then down the marble floor of the second floor. It was much quieter, with large windows adorning the hall. In the middle of the hall was a large sitting room. He explained that was the tearoom for this floor, then showed me where the bathing room was, the Princess' quarters, this floor's women in waiting, the Princess' studying room, the doors to the balcony and finally what was to be my quarters. I chewed at my lip nervously, as we stopped at my door. 

"You will have your own lady-in-waiting soon," he said once we reached my door, "But for now the Princess has agreed to lend you one of her own." 

My eyes widened, "I-I don't need a lady-in-waiting." 

"You will," he corrected, "As Fionn Roisin's noble sister."

My mood darkened and I nodded, almost forgetting my new status. Bram let my arm go now but moved to grasp my hand. My eyes widened as he brought my knuckles up to his lips and I blushed as he pressed a kiss to my hand. His eyes twinkling.  

"You will do good," he said confidently, "You are a Roisin after all." 

"Thank you Bram," I whispered. 

He smirked, "Ah, I'm glad you have understood we are of same rank."

"P-Prince Bram," I corrected quickly, making him laugh. 

He shook his head, "You will lose no face calling me Bram, trust me. And I prefer you call me such. Leave the prince title to my younger brother. He is more fitting of such respect. Please rest for the reminder of the day. You will be fetched for dinner later on." 

I nodded, smiling, "Good day Bram, good day Benji."

He bowed, "Lady Roisin."

Then I turned, opening the door to the start of my new life.