SIXTEEN |

SIXTEEN |

I dreamed of roses. Springing from the earth in an unnatural way. Then, the rose petals whirled around in a fierce storm of air, before I slowly awoke. I stirred from my sleep with a lazy yawn, feeling utterly refreshed. 

As I slowly sat up in my bed, noticing the strong sunlight that danced through my window, memories of the night rushing back to me. There was a slight ache in the back of my skull, and I pondered what had happened after Erik and I had reached Eliza's room. There was a small exhale in the room and it was then I noticed Loli who was draped over the side of my bed from the floor. Her face red and her eyes swollen slightly. My heart hurt that she was so sorrowful, and slowly, I shook her awake. She jolted, her eyes wide as she looked up at me. 

"Lady Ciara!" she cried, bursting into tears. 

I hugged her tightly, "Be calm Loli! I'm alright, I promise! I'm sorry for scaring you."

She shook her head, "It's alright! I-I should have stayed."

"No," I whispered firmly, "You were right to leave."

She opened her mouth again, when a knock came at my door. I blinked, looking over at it with confusion. Loli sprang up, and rushed over to the door, opening it a crack before closing it. I moved my legs over to the side of the bed before realizing I had been dressed into a nightgown, no doubt by Loli. She looked over at me with curiosity. 

"Your brother is at the door," she said nervously, "His highness said that he wasn't going to tell Lord Roisin what had occurred last night, saying it was best to keep such an occurrence in the secrets of the night."

I exhaled slowly, nodding, "Let him in please." 

She did, opening the door wide. For a moment I paused, his appearance shocking. He wore a fitted pair of trousers, a thick white shirt with tapered sleeves and a deep blue tailed jacket. Upon the blue jacket was so much golden embroidery with swirls and whirls. It was much different from his golden guard attire, and yet it was still very much over the top. 

"Ara?" he said with a tone that implied he had been calling my name for a while. 

I blinked, "Sorry, what were you saying?"

"I was asking why you were still in bed," he replied unamused, "When I told you to get a good night's sleep, I did not mean sleep until past noon. We are expected in the ball within a few hours. Why are you still in bed?"

I shrugged, "I am getting up now. Do not worry Fionn, I will begin getting ready now." 

He looked over at Loli, "Please see to it at once."

She nodded, and curtsied, "Y-Yes my Lord."

A sudden wave of annoyance hit me.

"Ugh," I grunted, falling back into the bed, "Do loosen up brother." 

He blinked, "Pardon me?"

I sat back up with vigor. 

"In all this time I have been here, all I hear from you is your castle life or your duty. That is not the Fionn I remember," I heaved air into my lungs, "The Fionn I remember was fun and--"

"and a child," he replied sourly, "Forgive me Ciara, but things have changed as have my responsibilities. Please begin getting ready for the Queen's ball. We must not be late."

I said nothing, my eyes wide in shock as he turned and left the room. Honestly, I was not sure what reaction my words would gain and yet, his reaction was shocking. It left a bitter taste in my mouth and for a moment, I couldn't move. A deep sadness filled me as I realized the truth behind his words: I was no longer his priority.