Four |

Four |

I laid on Aldrich's bed that stank of pine and spices. I had stripped down to my shift and Ebby sat on my stomach. It was a long day and yet despite that, I couldn't find sleep. Ebby did not have such a problem—the creature lay peacefully sleeping on my stomach. I still was dressed in my earlier attire—after Aldrich showed me to his chambers, he promised a fresh wardrobe would arrive tomorrow. I smiled at him, my mind whirling. I rose my hand, pressing my fingers to my head. Like the fae mark on my wrist, I could feel the slight engrave of the circlet against my forehead under my bangs. I had no idea what it meant—perhaps it meant nothing?

I knew that would be wishful thinking.

My eyes closed and I held my hand to my forehead and focused. As if perhaps, I could trigger any sort of response from the branding Gwynestri Yarrow had given me. I stayed like that for a long while, until I believed I could actually feel the mark heat. My body tensed as I expected something to happen but nothing did. A sigh left my lips and I lowered my hand before peeling open my eyes.

Only to see a figure at the window. I bit my lip to keep from screaming, my entire body tensing. The figure was that of a woman. In the moonlight, I could make out the black attire of an assassin, and she wore a black owl masquerade mask. She perched on the window sill, her one hand clutching the wood, her other hand on her hip. In the moonlight, those grey eyes looked familiar but where would I had seen this woman before?

I opened my mouth to speak.

"So, you've come," a deep voice rumbled.

My eyes slid to the door where a man leaned against the wood, a glass of wine in his hand. A small squeak left my lips—how had all these people entered without my notice? It did not make sense, and yet both seemed so familiar.

"Have you accepted your death?" the woman demanded.

The man chuckled, "Perhaps. I did not expect death to be so beautiful."

Then it clicked, and tears began to run down my face. A deep sadness filled me.

"Be careful Black Rose," the woman snarled, grabbing the dagger from her hip, "One might think you're trying to flirt with death. That will be your mistake."

"M-mom?" I whispered, a sob broke from my lips, "Dad? Dad!"

Dad paused, his head tilting slightly towards me and then, both figures were gone. I jolted up, jostling Ebby off my stomach to which he tumbled onto the bed. He stirred with a little "mek" before staring at me. I didn't have time to apologize before I stumbled around the room, searching for the ghosts of my dead parents. I didn't understand—what had I seen? The feeling of dread and suffocation accompanied my sorrow, and I felt as though the walls were closing in. I needed to escape, I stretched my hand towards Ebby, and he jumped forward. As he leaped, his body disappeared, a golden dust in the air and the familiar burn on my wrist.

I then turned and slipped from the room and hurried down the hall. I didn't remember the layout of the keep but I supposed it did not matter. Instead, I merely fled wildly down the halls, running through rooms. I didn't have a specific place in mind but the running did help my hurting heart. I continued to run until I reached a pair of large, stone doors. On each side was large glowing gems taller than myself and four guards stood in front of the door, and one dressed differently spoke to them in a low tone. I slowed, panting softly as I looked at the guards. All of them looked anywhere but me except for the one who had been speaking. He turned to look at me with a hard look.

"Can I help you?" he rumbled.

I rose my hand in defeat as I steadied my breath, "H-hello."

"Who are you?" he demanded.

I straightened my back, surprised by his aggression. One of the guards quickly moved to his side before muttering in his ear. His eyes widened for a moment before it seemed to sharpen a tad more. He pursed his lips and I admired his form. He was blonde, with brown eyes and sun kissed skin. He wore the royal colours, and had a sword at his side—it made me ponder who exactly he was and what his role within the castle was.

"Lady Ciara Roisin," he said coolly, "I shall escort you back to your room."

My eyes narrowed, "Where am I?"

"This is the dungeon," he hummed, "and no place for a Lady."

Annoyance grew inside me, "And who are you? I assume you are a soldier of Kahuna? Yet you presume women cannot be in the presence of a dungeon? That is a laughable comment indeed. Tell me your name so that I may share such humour with Kahuna."

"Certainly. My name is Orris Thistle," he mused, a smirk on his face.

I placed my hands on my hips, "And your rank?"

"I am Duke Thistle," he mused, "I suppose most call me Kahuna's second in command."

Brief hesitation filled me. Back in Ipuina, such a role would have me pausing but both Aldrich and Kahuna assured me Neorian was different and I had to believe such. I tightened my fingers into fists and moved towards him, glaring up at him face to face.

This man was a man of pure class and elegance. It was most intimidating, and he was certainly most professional. I would not be surprised if he disliked me because I was proof that his fearless leader had a heart. No, I should not be afraid of his aristocratic and apathetic demeanor.

"Duke Thistle," I replied sharply, "Or perhaps, as a man of lower status than myself, I shall call you Orris?"

His eyes flickered, "I suppose that is your right, Raggy Princess."

My eyes widened and I gasped, "Pardon?"

A smirk crossed his lips as he looked over my shoulder. I turned to find Kahuna walking down the hall with two guards on her heels. She seemed to brighten as her eyes fell on me before greeting me with a nod.

"Ara," she said warmly, "What are you doing awake?"

My jaw remained on the floor, "I was just talking to Orris here."

She nodded, looking at him, "Ah, good. I was hoping to introduce you to Duke Thistle eventually. I hope he may train you on elemental combat eventually. What says you?"

He bowed, "I will be sure to make her battle ready."

My eyes narrowed, "I do not want him training me."

She gave me a small smile, "I understand he can be most intimidating, but I assure you there is no more professional and distinguished duke in all of Neorian."

Professional—as if!

"Rest assured Lady Roisin," he mused, sending me a look, "You are in good hands."

I sulked, "Fine."

She grabbed my hand before turning away from him, "Wonderful! Allow me to give you a proper tour. I assume you could not sleep? Perhaps a walk will assist."

I glanced back to Orris who flicked his fingers away from his chin at me. I gritted my teeth—the nerve! I would ruin him if it was the last thing I did in this castle. He may have everyone fooled but he did not fool me.

The man was no more distinguished than a child!