Twenty Seven |

Twenty Seven |

In the next few days, more letters came adding more to the fireplace. Loli barely spoke to me, doing her duty and nothing more. I felt terribly over it, but I too was upset as to how she spoke to me. Sighing softly, I grew restless in my thoughts, and so I decided to skip classes for the day. Wandering down along the trail towards the stable, my eyes narrowed at the sight of my brother, Prince Erik and a large crowd of elemental men. It seemed my brother and Erik were having a close combat sparring match. My walk stopped, and I was reminded of a more pressing matter, one much larger than idiot men attempting to marry me.

"Lord Roisin!" I yelled, stomping over.

The two stopped their fighting, and the crowd hollered like children.

"Sister," my brother replied, a smirk on his face before it melted slightly, "Where is your lady in attending?"

My eyes rolled, "We must talk."

"The infamous Lady Roisin riding without a gown again?" one man hollered.

"Nay, she's much too busy finding a husband!"

"If so, allow me a shot!"

They hollered and cackled at that. My glare shot to the crowd, my fingers itching to put these idiots in their place. Instead, however my head rose and I looked among the foolish loose-mouth, overpowered boys. My shoulders squared and my head tilted slightly.

"I would rather skin myself alive then consider such dogs as a husband," I replied, my gaze sharp, "And, if any of you wish to marry one day I'd suggest you learn how to properly speak to a woman instead of chiding her to the brink of bashing her brains out with a rock."

"Ara," Fionn warned lowly.

I continued, "In fact, I'd learn not to speak at all, even the hint of your voices is enough for me to consider being trampled dead by a stead. Yes, a few of you would be good looking enough to be forgiven for a slip of words but even then I'd worry about breeding stupidity. Now, you all may be off, the show is over."

They grumbled, the crowd splitting.

"You certainly know how to weaponize words," Erik hummed.

I could feel a blush on my cheeks, "Is that a compliment or an insult."

"It can be both."

Fionn looked suspiciously between us, "What is going on here?"

"That's what I'd like to know!" I snapped, crossing my arms over my chest, "When were you going to tell me of the tournament? Or were you already planning my funeral?"

Those grey eyes widened in surprise, "Who told you about the tournament? Regardless, it does not apply to you. Have you picked a suitor yet? You are to pick one by the end of the week. You have two days left."

Suddenly the dots were clicking into place.

"Were you marrying me off as to avoid the tournament?" I gasped.

He avoided my eye contact.

"So that's it," I laughed bitterly, my fingertips itching, "You have no better plan than to marry me off. You wish to protect your lies. I wonder what will happen when the queen finds out the truth because I will not be marrying. I will be entering that tournament."

"You will be killed," he hissed, "Stop thinking foolishly!"

I smirked, "I suppose you'll be as shocked as the queen."

"What do you mean by that," he demanded, moving to grab my arm.

My eyes narrowed and I remembered the bruise he caught the last time he so harshly grabbed my flesh. I caught his arm first, digging my nails into his wrist. He grunted but didn't move, his eyes watching me carefully.