Thirty-Seven |

Thirty-Seven |

            At the very bottom of the steps we came to a large entrance—it was large enough to have been made by giants and from the magic that clung to the white birch material, I'm sure it was more than possible. When Edric stepped towards the door however, it seemed to move on it's own, the door swinging open into the inside as if pulled by invisible hands. I glanced at Edric.

            "This dungeon was a gift from the fae," he explained.

            I nodded, my lips distorting with a sour taste.

            He stepped inside and I followed, surprise filling me. The large room seemed to be no dungeon at all but a large room with marble flooring and an even larger crystal pile in the middle of the room. Confusion filled me as I looked around. The magic was thick here, so thick it made movement difficult. I glanced around us. The walls had a thin layer of those blue crystals and I realized why this room looked so familiar. It was because it looked like the grue cave. Except this crystal pile had iron chains attached from it to the walls.

            "Explain this," I demanded. "Where is the beast?"

            He looked at me curiously. "Can you not see it? That is the beast."

            My head looked back to the pile, my eyes widening.

            What?

            I looked at the pile closer, a gasp tearing from my lips. He was right. It was no crystal pile but in fact a giant drake, far larger than any deer or horse I'd ever seen. The beast—Saphira was curled into a ball, it's massive head laying across the floor and around it's neck was something far more interesting.

            A pendant.

            When all gifts become one, the fourth daughter will be complete and her magic which could not be contained will shift into the answer of all strife. When that happens, she will become the bringer of all death, or the harbor of true peace. That is how this story ends.

            That's how this story ends.

            "Edric, that pendant," I whispered, stepping closer. "Is that—"

            "It belonged to the first earth elemental. Isabeau Albion. This beast was her beloved drake. This is the source of our scared crystal ability and that pendant is what remains of their bond. No one has been able to take it, but that didn't stop Aurora from trying."

            "Show me," I whispered.

            He frowned. "Pardon?"

            Ah, but I wasn't talking to him. My head warmed as my magic stirred, the cerulean magic around me reaching out. I shut my eyes, allowing it to fill me. I could feel it all. I could feel Saphira's loyalty—her love. My head ached with such magic and yet, I could feel the warmth and comfort of her heart all around me.

            "Saphira!" A woman's voice laughed.

            It was beautiful and warm. I sunk into it, allowing the cerulean light to lead me through the darkness. I called out to it but I was being pulled yet again. A soundless cry left my lips as I was pulled through space, and when I opened my eyes, I stood in the dungeon, across from Saphira's body and yet, I knew this was not my time. I glanced at Saphira's body. It was not covered in crystals—there were no crystals in sight. Just a beautiful, giant and golden drake wearing a pendant.

She had summoned me, or rather, the remains of her soul had, but why?

            "You stubborn rock!"