Forty-Nine |

Forty-Nine |

"I hear Tyr is moving south with plans of taking over Arman's land," I murmured, picking at the strawberries on my plate. "Gwynestri has joined Arman's defense. Things are getting rather messy, wouldn't you agree dear?" 

Arthur nodded. "What's your stance?" 

I frowned. This was all so difficult. My siblings were getting rather political with each other. It was almost ironic how we all became leaders to the lands and now we wish to ruin the lands just the same. I rubbed my face, absolutely exhausted. 

Age did not slow, even for us. 

I was getting to old for all of this. 

"Perhaps it is time for us to consider things," Arthur said slowly. "Your jewels, they grow weaker each day. The more you use your magic, the weaker your body becomes. Please my queen, we cannot rely on you. Not for the rest of our days."

He was right. We would eventually be dragged into this war whether we wished to be or not--we had given Lavander, Dandillion and Merrill enough time and equal time to mature into their selves. My eyes flickered over to the royal fae guards that Casimir had kindly sent me. 

"What does your king think of this?" I asked. 

"We have been ordered to serve you in any way you need." 

They were no help as usual, and yet, I could not help but smile. 

"Fetch the children," I said, looking at Arthur. "We shall make our moves for the future generation. It is time for the heir of the throne to bloom." 

Arthur's eyes widened before he nodded. "Yes. You're right." 

It took three days to summon them back to the keep. Lavander Albion, my eldest child had been moving through the smaller villages, providing earth elemental support to counteract the growing poverty levels due to the war. Dandillion my middle child and eldest son had been recruiting forces to protect our borders, and then there was Merrik. The youngest. He was a quiet soul with a kind mind. Kind and logical. He had been-- 

"Mother, Father," Dandillion spoke first, his voice firm. "Why have you summoned us?"

I smiled slightly. Always straight to the point. He was dressed in armour, as if he'd returned and came right here. Dandillion had been gone just under a year and yet, he'd changed so much--the scar that ran down his face was proof of that. His soft brown locks were gone, and he had grown a beard. 

"What has happened?" Lavander asked, running her hands over her skirt. "Are the villages safe? Is it the war? What will happen to the villages who are already suffering?"

She'd changed too. Lavander had always been so calm and prideful, she enjoyed spending lavishly. However, Lavander now wore a pair of farming boots and a crown of wildflowers. There was dirt smudged across her cheeks and her corset was of a cheap and faded leather. It seemed her time in the villages had humbled my daughter greatly. 

"Who gives a shit about some grovelling peasants?" Dandillion snarled. "I hear Ipuina plans to join Arianne again the north. If that happens, they will come after us next. We must stop Ipuina from nearing our land, from entering Arianne." 

"No!" Lavander cried. "No. I will not allow your forces to rip apart villages just to set up your troops In a senseless war. We should prioritize our land's safety above all else."   

"Silence," Arthur boomed. 

I clicked my fingers against the side of my throne. "We will be choosing the future of Neorian based off your answer. However, first you must listen carefully and without judgements. Ipuina will join Arianne in this war but even still, that does not guarantee victory against Sophocles. In fact, if they attempt to take the fight into Sophocles steep terrain, they will lose. It is true, Ipuina may very well move against us after this war, or Arianne, or even Sophocles may move against us. Or they may not. What stance should we take in this war? I wish to know your plan from eldest to youngest. Lavander, tell me." 

Lavander nodded. "We must not take any stance. Close the borders. Focus on our own problems and assisting our poverty levels. Cut taxes where we need to, and redistribute land to those who need it." 

I hummed, glancing over to Dandillion. "Dand--" 

"I go by General Dillion now," he cut in sharply. 

"My apologies General Dillion," I sighed. Always the short temper. "Go ahead." 

"We will join neither!" My eldest son roared. "We will up our forces through a draft and send them to the borders. There will be no kingdom that doubts our standing and ability. They have brought war to our doorstep and we will not allow them to dirty our mat."

My brow rose. "My son, it seems like your actions are already made up."

He nodded. "Yes mother. I'm firm in my actions." 

I tilted my head to Lavander. "And you?" 

"I too am firm," she replied, shooting Dandillion a venomous look. 

My children were ready to go to war with each other. 

"Merrik, it is your turn," I sighed. 

His eyes were hidden behind his long, brown locks, and when he dropped his head, one would think he was showing shame, but I knew my son--he was much like his father. That was his slip of performance as his mind began to whirl. My son was plotting. 

"Mother," he murmured softly. "You said they may, or may not."

I nodded. "The future is not certain." 

"T-Then neither should our plans," he said quietly. "If the other kingdoms learn that we are training an army for war, they may think we're acting. But if we do nothing, we will not be prepared if something does happen. However, it is clear that the war is something we cannot avoid. So, I think, we ought to do something different. H-Have you heard of the peace keeping theory?" 

I smiled. Clever boy.     

"Ridiculous!" Dandillion snarled. "That would never work!"

Arthur rose his hand. "Let him speak." 

"T-the theory goes that when two noble families are at war, royals should show support with both sides so that whomever wins will not rebel against the crown."  

"I see," Lavander hummed, smiling slightly. "You wish to ignore our own suffering and help three kingdoms that do not deserve it. I thought you were kind brother, I was wrong." 

Merrik lifted his head. "This is kind. This way, we can protect our land, our people and our ties. Ipuina needs information, Arianne will need military to protect their borders and Sophocles need resources. They will all see us as peace keeping. After all, our land is supposed to be a haven for all, even for those of other lands." 

I glanced over at the fae guards. He was right. 

"Then you have your answer my king." I smiled. 

Arthur nodded. "Merrik will be the future." 

"But father--" Dandillion gasped. 

"That will be all. Merrik will take lead."  

Neorian would be in good hands with Merrik as king. 

That meant it was time to make my own actions. I clasped my pendant carefully. Once I promised never to use the gift that was given to me, but now, there was no choice. It would cost me my life, but I had to protect my children from the evils of my siblings, and then Saphira would take this gift and make sure no one ever touched it again. 

"My queen?" Arthur called. 

Ah, I was crying. "Forgive me dear. I fear I am out of time." 

He nodded. "Do not cry then. Let us not waste any second on sorrow." 

I closed my eyes carefully, warmth blooming through my chest, filling me with love and strength. Arthur Albion--my heart. He always knew what to say. Such words had my tears drying up. The power of the heart was a powerful thing after all.