Dad Jokes -Dylan O'Brien

Riddle: What walks on four legs at dawn, two legs at noon, and on three legs in the evening?

Summary: Dylan and Y/n had a kid together. He has Y/n's eyes and Dylans hair. Their child is now 5 years old and Dylan still can't get him to laugh while Y/n can effortlessly. Now over the years it became Dylan's mission to get his son to laugh.

___________________________________

Dylan sighed in frustration. How did Y/n make it look so easy?

"How do you do it? Show me your ways, my love" He begged dramatically as he knelt on the kitchen floor.

Y/n stared at him, mouth agape as she poured milk into a bowl full of cereal.

"I haven't seen you this desperate since you know what" She finally teased as she put the milk down and grabbed a spoon.

"Come on, it's gotta be some kind of trick you use. Every time I go out of the room, I come back to Tobey giggling with you. I need to know how you do it?" He asked as he followed her out of the room and into the living room, where Tobey sat, playing with a Spider-Man figurine.

"Tobes, come eat your breakfast" Y/n cooed, setting the cereal down on a table as Tobey rushed over to sit infront of it, immediately grabbing the spoon and eating some of the cereal.

He smiled like a little goof and looked up at his mother like she was the greatest human being alive. She just chuckled before patting his head softly. "Good boy. Can I trust you to not be messy?" She asked making  Tobey nod. "That's my man"

Dylan was in awe of the interaction. "How!?" He practically whisper-screamed at no one in particular.

Y/n heard him and gave him a confused look. "What?" She asked.

Dylan just shrugged dramatically. "How do you do that? Please teach me. I feel like such a shh-" he dragged out as he glanced at Tobey before back to Y/n. "-shhhuper bad dad. I mean, he doesn't even laugh at my dad jokes" Dylan complained as he followed her around the house, helping her put laundry into the machine.

"Nobody laughs at dad jokes, Dyl" Y/n chuckled. "That's why they're called dad jokes"

Dylan gave her a mock offended look. "Excuse me" he huffed jokingly as he grabbed his shirt, holding over his heart. "That hurt"

Y/n just looked at him, trying not to smile. "Just, you know....You gotta connect with him, Dyl. Not just try to make him laugh all the time" she told him.

"I do connect with him. We watched Spider-Man together last night-" Y/n cut him off.

"Yeah, but he fell asleep not even half way through because you put it on when it was time for him to go to sleep" she said.

"It was the only time I was available" Dylan shrugged. "I'm at work all day"

"Well...maybe you should take a day off" Y/n suggested as she stood up with the empty basket, setting it on a counter.

"A day off? Would they even allow me a day off?" He asked as he stood up with her.

"They let you off for me" Y/n shrugged.

"Because you were in labour. And the few weeks after Tobey's birthday" Dylan replied.

Y/n sighed. "Look, Dyl. Tobey wants to hang out with you. I can see it in his eyes" She said quietly, as the two walked down the hall and back into the living room.

Dylan sighed. "He barely even looks at me anymore..." he said, looking down sadly.

Y/n cupped his chin with her right hand, gently guiding his head with so he looked her in the eyes.
"Darling, I know the connection is still there. You just got to ignite it again" She kissed his nose. "Go relight the fire" she sang.

Dylan chuckled. She was right. His son didn't hate him, he loved him. And Dylan loved him right back.

"Okay, I'm gonna go and relight the fire. I'm gonna be the greatest dad this world has ever seen" He said, feeling better already.

"Go get 'em, Tiger" Y/n cheered him on as she moved his shoulders to face Tobey, then gave him a little push before giving his but a light slap.

Dylan smiled as he sat down infront of his son, seeing he had eaten all his cereal. "Good man, eating all your breakfast. Yeah, very good" he praised.

Y/n came up and took the bowl, sending a wink to Dylan for encouragement, before retreating to the kitchen.

Tobey played with his figurines- Spider-Man and some of his villians- as Dylan glanced down at them.
"Hey, is that Spider-Boy?" He said, knowing his son would correct him.

"It's actually Spider-Min. And this is Gween Goblinin" Tobey corrected.

In the kitchen, Y/n watched the interaction, almost crying with delight at hearing her two boys get to know eachother even more.

"Oh, right" Dylan then pointed to a blue guy. "And um, who's this guy?"

"Oh, dats Electro. He's de cwoolest" Tobey fumbled about his words.

"Ooh, is he a good guy or a bad guy" Dylan asked.

Tobey hummed in thought. "Kinda boat"

Dylan smiled and nodded. "Is that why you think he's the coolest? 'Cause he's not good or bad?"

Tobey nodded, smiling at his father.
"Yeah, he's kinda like you" He said.

Dylan smiled a little more. Yeah, that statement could be good or bad progress.

Dylan sighed through a smile. A happy, content sigh.

"Do you wanna watch some Spider-Man. We can spend the whole day together. We can maybe go to the park or bing watch some of your favourite movies while eating popcorn and drinking hot chocolate. Does that sound good?" He asked his son as the two sat down on the couch together, Dylan wrapping a protective arm around Tobey.

Y/n's heart melted. God, she loved Dylan. She definitely made the right choice.

As she went to walk back into the living room, she tripped over a figurine Tobey had left on the ground. The bang from her body hitting the floor made all others go silent.

Dylan looked at Y/n with wide eyes as Tobey begun to laugh at her. His laugh made Y/n start to laugh as she got up and fell onto the couch beside the two boys.

Dylan still looked amazed as he whispered to himself. "So that's how you do it"