Ch. 47 The Path Ahead

July 3rd, 1985Beneath Starcourt Mall

July 3rd, 1985
Beneath Starcourt Mall

Kneeling over the metal grate, the five of us stared down into the cold, grey room as two men entered through the once-locked door. Slowly placing a hand over my mouth, I began to realize just how heavily and loudly I was breathing, the anticipation of whether or not the two men knew of our presence hung like a weight over my head.

One of the men came to a stop as he stepped over the threshold into the room, taking in a deep breath as he looked around the empty room.

"ты пахнешь этим?" The man spoke in what I assumed to be Russian as he turned to his colleague who took a long drag from his cigarette. "What's he saying?" Dustin questioned Robin in a hushed voice, earning a nudge in the side by Steve. "He smells something..." Robin whispered in response.

My gaze landed on Steve, squinting my eyes at him for nearly blowing our cover. "Don't look at me." He mumbled, moving closer to Dustin and away from my fiery gaze.

"какие?" The colleague questioned as he came to a stop in the middle of the room as he picked up one of the Imperial Panda boxes from off of the floor. "моча." The man stated, causing the other man to take a deep breath in, only to blow off the other man's words with a shrug of his shoulders before carrying the box back to their vehicle.

Moving away from the metal grate, I moved my gaze onto Erica who still tightly clutched onto the green vial in her hands, I hadn't even realized she picked it back up. Moving to take the vial out of her hands, Steve quickly stopped me as his eyes landed on it as well, a plan brewing behind his hazel eyes as he looked down at the canister.

~~~

After loading the boxes of green vials into their truck, the two men exited the room, the sound of the elevator door whirring back down hit our ears signaling that it was time to go.

Jumping down from the metal hatch, Steve tightly clutched the vial in his hands before running towards the elevator door, placing the canister between it and the floor just in time to stop the door in its place.

Quickly helping her out, Erica threw Steve her book bag before jumping from the hatch and crawling under the door, followed by Dustin and Robin, Steve feeling the need to be a drill sergeant as he rushed them all through the space. "Go, go, go, go."

Jumping down from the hatch, I quickly rolled through the space, quietly thanking my mom for all those tumble lessons she put me through when I was eight. Now it was my turn to rush Steve through the gape in the door, as the vial began to crack and break under the pressure of the door's gears.

Tugging on the sleeve of Steve's sailor uniform, I quickly pulled him into my chest just as the vial broke from the weight of the door, the green substance inside seeming to eat away at the metal ground as soon as it came in contact with it.