Ch. 15 The Bathtub

November 12th, 1983
Wheeler Residence

    Hopper wasn't bluffing when he said that the boys were in danger. After cramming us into the police cruiser, the Chief broke just about every rule of the road on the way to the Wheeler's house. Parking the car a few blocks away from the home, we soon realized that we weren't the only ones paying the family a visit. Joining the family van on the driveway were black vehicles with heavily tinted windows while the road in front of the home was blocked off by multiple Light and Energy technician vans; they had surrounded the house entirely.

   Stepping out of the car, Hopper pulled out a pair of binoculars before looking over the house, while Nancy exited the car from beside Jonathan and tried to walk past him to get to her family. "Whoa! What do you think you're doing?" Hop asked, pulling her back by the arm to stop her. "I need to go to them! Mike is over there." Nancy tried to pull her arm away from his grip though he never let go.

   "He isn't there. Look, they are looking for him." Hopper pointed towards a helicopter that flew off in the distance, scanning over the woods. "That's for Mike?" Nancy asked, shocked at all the fuss her little brother had made. "Get in the car." Hopper nudged her back to her side of the car before jumping back into the driver's seat.

   Once the two had settled back in their seats, Hopper turned around to face Jonathan, Nancy, and me. "Look... We need to find them before they do. Nancy, do you have any idea where Mike could have gone? Nancy placed her head in her hands as she struggled to think of any place that the boys would hide beside their basement. "I don't know... We haven't really been that close." She answered causing Hopper to move his gaze onto me.

   Awkwardly sitting there, everyone seemed to focus their gazes on me as well. "Is there nowhere you can think of, Nell?" Hopper asked me this time and I shook my head slowly. "No... No, but- I can find out. The party and I use a channel on the Walkies, I could contact them." "Where is it?" Hopper asked, already having turned around in his seat in order to start the car, "At home." I answered quickly as he sped back down the road. "Then, let's go."

~~~

   Once Hopper had parked the car in front of the house, we all piled out of the vehicle and into the cramped house. Leaving the others in the living room, I ran down the hall and towards my room before pushing my door to spot the walkie that rested on my nightstand. Releasing a sigh of relief, I grabbed it before hurrying back down the hall and into the living room.

   "Got it." I called out to Hopper before holding it out to the man, only for him to quickly pass it off to a confused Nancy, "You're his sister. He should respond to you, right?" Slowly, Nancy nodded in agreement before taking the walkie in her shaky hand and holding it up to her mouth. "Mike? Mike, it's Nancy?" Nancy waited a second before calling out again. 

   "Mike, are you there? You need to answer me." She tried again but still received no response. "Why isn't he answering?" Hopper questioned, turning to look down at me while Nancy tried again. "They probably think this is like that time with Lando Calrissian." I mumbled, knowing those boys they'd probably continue to stay radio-silent. Hopper only furrowed his brow at the reference with a look of utter disbelief. "Like what, I'm sorry?"

   Groaning lightly, I waved off the question before turning to Nancy. "Just give it to me..." I mumbled, holding my hand out for it as Nancy received no answer for the fifth time. Slowly, Nancy placed the walkie in my palm, allowing me to speak into the device. "Guys, it's Nell... I promise this is not a Lando operation. I'm with Chief Hopper and- And he knows all about El... Look, we just- We need you guys to answer, for you're protection, please. Over."