Ch. 48 Hidden Away

July 3rd, 1985Beneath Starcourt Mall

July 3rd, 1985
Beneath Starcourt Mall

   "Clear, come on, let's go." Steve cleared us in a hushed voice, waving us to follow behind him out of our hiding place behind a large metal crate.

After walking down the hall for seemingly hours, we stumbled into the center or the hub of the Russian fortress.

   Though a large empty space made up the center of the fortress, the room was cramped, crowded with soldiers, scientists, and guards at every way out. There was no need to be as quiet as were, the fortress was far from silent. Loud voices filled the room, speaking in thick Russian accents to one another or over walkies while their footsteps echoed loudly around us.

   "That was close..." Robin whispered as we ducked behind another crate, cramming ourselves together uncomfortably in order to stay out of the guards' sight. "Too close." Dustin mumbled in response. "Relax, nobody saw us." Steve scoffed as he waved for us to follow behind him, ultimately ending in us squatting back down as a guard approached our hiding spot.

   "Shit..." Steve muttered, running a hand through his hair as he tried peering over the edge of the cabinet. "I saw it!" Erica rushed in a hushed voice. "Saw what?" I questioned with a quirked brow, what could she have possibly seen in that one second. "First floor, northwest." She whispered in response.

   Steve held in his scoff as he turned to face Erica, "And that means what, exactly?" He questioned.

   "The comms room." She stated, leaning forward in her place to get in Steve's face. "You saw the comms room?" I questioned her quietly, moving her back into her place. "Are you sure?" Robin whispered as she peered past the side of the cabinet. "Positive. The door was open for a second, and I saw a bunch of lights and machines and shit in there." She informed us, causing Steve to scrunch his face in equal parts confusion and disbelief.

   "That could be a hundred different things." Steve scoffed but Erica quickly shook her head at the response, staying confident with her observation and assumption. Turning to Steve with a frown, I nodded in agreement with the girl. "I'll take those odds." I mumbled softly, causing Steve to take in a sharp breath, his eyes boring into mine as if pleading for me to take back what I had said.

   Peering back over the edge of the cabinet, Steve quickly turned to face the four of us. "All right..." He muttered finally before grabbing onto my hand tightly. "We're gonna move fast, we're gonna stay low. Okay?" He questioned, waiting for us to agree with his instructions.

  Once we nodded in agreement, Steve turned away from us, hand still tightly locked around mine before he led us through the center of the room, staying low and quickly ducking behind the next crate. Steve checked the coast before waving for us to follow behind him, the door was in sight, the only problem was the keycard lock.

   We watched as a man in a white lab coat approached the door through the window that was connected to the comms room before swinging the door open and hurrying out, file in hand, giving us just the right amount of time to break-in.