Ch. 24 Now-Memories

November 2nd, 1984Hawkins High Parking Lot

November 2nd, 1984
Hawkins High Parking Lot

"Can we talk about this later?" Steve asked, awkwardly pulling on the straps of his book bag and pulling out the same Risky Business sunglasses from Halloween.

"There's nothing to talk about." I shrugged and turned away from him for hopefully the last time and made my way down the sidewalk until I came to a stop in front of the middle school when two young voices grabbed my attention.

"You know what? Forget it! I don't wanna be a part of your stupid party anyway. I'm out!" The red-headed new girl from yesterday raised her voice at Lucas before storming off.

"Max!" Lucas called after her, throwing his hands in the air. "You still stink, by the way!" She called back not turning around as she hopped on her board and skated towards Billy's roaring Camaro that remained parked in the joint school parking lot.

Lucas was left alone, watching Max as she entered the car and slammed the door behind her. "So, what did you do?" I joked as I walked towards Lucas who smelled his jacket with a disgusted face. "Nothing!" He groaned throwing his arms in the air again.

Raising a brow, I looked from him and towards the still parked car that belonged to Billy; watching as the silhouetted figures of Billy and Max argued. "No offense, but I find that incredibly hard to believe." I stated and looked back down at him.

"It's stupid. It's not even my fault, honest." He mumbled the last word as the two of us started back down the path towards the bike stand. "So then, what happened?" I asked and placed my hands in my jacket pockets. "Mike doesn't want Max in the party, but she really wants to be a part of it. At least she acts like she does but she wouldn't understand." He explained the situation slowly.

"Well, what do you want? You know, Mike doesn't control you-" "It's not that simple." Lucas cut me off with a groan. "I mean... I want her to join but then we'd have to tell her everything. As in everything, everything."

I shrugged as we came to a stop next to his bike, the other two already having left before him. "Screw it," I stated, earning a confused look from the boy. "Screw it. I mean, you would hate being excluded from your friends, right? Being treated like an outsider? I mean, last year you did the same thing towards El."

"But this is different." He tried to explain and avoided my knowing gaze. "Yeah, this time you like the girl." I joked, causing him to scoff but still blushed slightly at the statement. "What! No, Max is... different." He mumbled the last word.

"Trust me, Lucas. Tell her, I'm sure she'll come around after." Nodding, the boy jumped on his bike before peddling off.

~~~