Ch. 5 Temporary Insanity

March 23rd, 1986Hawkins, Indiana

March 23rd, 1986
Hawkins, Indiana

"How does it make you feel when he yells at you?" She furrowed her brow at the question but took a moment to think it over.

Placing her hands on the table awkwardly, she shrugs slightly. "I don't remember." She said, drawing invisible figures on the white table.

"No? Not a thing... Curious." He mumbled, not believing the girl before leaning over the table to offer her a kind smile. "It'll be our little secret, just between us." He told her softly.

She nodded before looking at the reflective surface beside them, "I can feel them watching..." She let out a hushed whisper before switching her gaze back onto the man, "Why are they watching?"

"How about... You write it down, huh?" He offered, avoiding her question before tearing a piece of paper out of his journal. "Then, they can't hear you..." He whispered back.

Nodding slowly, she dragged the paper towards her before grasping the pen he held out.

Quickly scribbling down the word, her handwriting shaky and messy, before folding the paper over the word and slid it back.

"Is that... Wrong?" She questioned sadly as the man's blue eyes read over the single word. "It's perfectly natural." His words soothed her.

"Do we get to play now?" She questioned with a shy smile. "Not until after the first few tests, then you'll be given time to rest and play before the last one. Is that okay?"

Hesitantly nodding, she shrugged slightly. "I guess..." She mumbled glumly, watching as the man stood from his chair before mimicking his action.

"Perfect, because I believe you're ready to begin." His lips held a pleased smile as he held his hand out to the girl, watching as she slowly took it before following him out of the room, failing to notice the open note he left on the surface of the table next to an open notebook.

~~~

"Okay. She's in." Steve's voice pulled me out of my thoughts, scrunching my eyes together in a poor attempt to wake myself up and concentrate. "I'm missing collar bones, not eyes." Dustin mumbled as he leaned between the space that separated Steve and I's seats. "So... we gonna talk about... it?" Dustin questioned Steve awkwardly as he looked over at me before glancing back at Steve.

Though Steve didn't seem to be paying any attention, his eyes were still glued to the front door of Ms. Kelley's house. "Huh? Sorry, talk about what?" Steve questioned, moving to face Dustin who only squinted his eyes at him. "Your temporary insanity earlier today when you practically threw yourself at Nance?" He elaborated.

Waiting for his answer, Steve's eyes quickly darted between Dustin and me as he shook his head at the accusation. "I think it's obvious that's not what happened. I mean-" Steve gestured a hand at me while I only raised an eyebrow in question. "Pretty sure that's what happened. It was pretty public." Dustin continued, pulling a scoff from Steve.