Chapter 10

Ocean Eyes - Billie Eilish 

You really know how to make me cry

When you gimme those ocean eyes

I'm scared 

I've never fallen from quite this high

Fallin' into your ocean eyes

Those ocean eyes

"What do you want, Rogers?" Once the truth came out and everyone knew your plan. You retreated back to your room and locked yourself in trying to figure out some sort of next step. Of course, everything leads to a dead end.

It's as if all their traces have been wiped. No more energy signals, no super-soldier sightings. Not even possible bases. It's like they have disappeared into thin air but nothing was that easy. There was always something you weren't seeing.

Everyone left you alone, giving you your space as well as trying to digest the news. Just not Rogers. He's been pacing back and forth outside of your room for 30 minutes wearing out the floor. Mumbling to himself practising things to say to you. Every once and a while the footsteps stopped right in front of your door, him wanting to knock but the footsteps always resumed. It was amusing at first but then it just got annoying.

You open to find an awkward super soldier who is rubbing the back of his neck, blushing pink embarrassed that he got caught. Oddly enough it was the most casual you have actually seen him: grey sweatpants and a shirt that wasn't ten sizes too small and dishevelled hair."Y/N? I-I uh I....Can we talk?" You bit the inside of your cheek to stop the smile from growing, finding all of this ridiculous. Hours ago you find this stone-cold captain who wants to rip your head off to this soft-spoken man.

"Come in." You moved to the side, opening up the doorway for Rogers to step in. He looked hesitant as if he was crossing some boundary that once he crossed over there was no going back. "I don't bite Rogers."

You managed to get a little smile out of him and you couldn't help but think, he had the most beautiful smile you had ever seen. His entire face lit up when he smiled and his eyes crinkled in a very cute way. "Tell that to the guy whose arm you bit on the mission."

"Fair point. I won't bite you unless you want me to." You gave him a little wink before closing the door. Trying to ease the tension but if anything it made it worse. You've flirted before with Sam, even Buck but with Rogers, it was always bickering.

Looking around your room Rogers noticed the bareness to it. White walls and grey sheets. The default room that Stark keeps just in case. He always suspected that you wouldn't be staying long, even if everyone else was trying to convince you to stay. But at least he would have thought that you would have some personal things cluttering the room.

There was nothing. No favourite book or candle. No pictures or knick-knacks. Just a closet half full with your clothes.

"So whatcha wanna talk about." You said sitting at the end of your bed. Rogers was stiff, not sure where to start. You patted the spot beside you silently telling him it was ok to sit.

A few seconds go by before he speaks. "I'm sorry." Before he could say anything else you caught him off. "There's nothing for you to feel sorry for Rogers. Shit happens, we learn to move on and live." He doesn't take your easy forgiveness so he still continues on. "No. I truly am sorry Y/N. I was so stupid that I didn't notice your hesitation to pick up the gun. God," he said while rubbing his hands over his face in a stressful manner. "You even notice how anxious I was when we went to the Arctic. You even made sure that I was warm on the way back. But I got mad and said words I never should have said." He feels like a bully, those same people who used to belittle and torment him in Brooklyn. The same people he never liked, he became one of them.