Chapter 15

It's been a long long time By Harry James

The patter of rain continues to beat on your window in the early morning. With early spring coming more precipitation happens throughout the week. It was days like these that you despised. The grey clouds that cover the blue of the sky are days when it is best to stay in bed. The rain lulls you back to sleep in a matter of minutes. There is something about the gloomy weather that is also beautiful at the same time that solely exists for days in.

The wind flies past your window, speeding past and thunder rumbling on the earth. You wish that you could stay in bed all day and watch the rain trickle down your window with a steaming cup of coffee but at last, you got out of bed. Your body was working on autopilot with your morning routine ingrained into your head. All your necessities are neatly organized in the same place for you to use again. Items you can find with your eyes closed in the early mornings like now.

With your eyes still half-closed you walk down the halls, another thing rooted into your brain for strategical purposes. You enter the kitchen dishevelled trying to reach the coffee. You found it notably quiet. It took a minute for your brain to catch up to grasp why it was so quiet. With all the avengers out of the compound and agents who reside there enjoying the free day, it was relatively empty leaving you alone.

Most people loathe being lonely or alone. You however flourish in it. The power one holds while being alone is energetic. You're living for yourself in solitude. You can think clearly with no distractions from others. There is a sense of freedom that comes with isolation. The ability to be who you are with no one to judge or to please.

"FRI play my playlist." You start to hear your music blast through the speakers as a response that the AI heard you. Your energy immediately intensifies as you hear your favourite songs on shuffle. Dancing around the kitchen not having to care about embarrassing yourself since you are alone. Song after song you make coffee and breakfast until the one song that persistently makes you break out into full song and dance.

Gimme Gimme a man after Midnight by ABBA.

Genuinely any song by ABBA will get you grooving and moving. You slide on the tiles and stop in front of the fridge. As the chorus plays you open the fridge shaking your hips while looking for the eggs. Twirling around the kitchen you finish making breakfast when another song plays. Picking up a wooden spoon to use as a microphone you sing song after song as if there was a mini-concert in the kitchen.

It was quite the show. Steve came in hearing the music when he got out of the elevator just to become mesmerized by the swing and sway of your body. The domesticity of the situation felt like it was out of his dream. The only difference is that he is there dancing with you. And you're not in the compound but rather in a nice house, a typical 4 bed 5 bath house. With kids running along and maybe a dog.

Who knows if he was ever going to get that type of life. Maybe he would. As for right now, he will just have to imagine that what's in front of him is the real deal. Lightening his footsteps for you not to hear him and stop dancing he reaches the countertop behind you.

You may not be a super soldier but Steve was definitely not a spy. You heard his footsteps since he exited the elevator a few feet back. You place a cup of dark roast and a plate with scrambled eggs, bacon and some vegetables under his nose. You didn't think twice about it as you placed your own food down.

Steve was looking at you eating your own breakfast. As his mind couldn't comprehend what just happened. "What," You say with a mouthful or food. "Nothing." He replies back taking a bite from his own plate. It wasn't the most difficult breakfast in the world and anyone could make it, probably some better than what you did. Steve, however, found it remarkable but what stubbed him, was how you knew his exact order for breakfast.